No announcement yet.

Gas mask bag on e-stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparing a fake (or just not era) to a fake, and deciding they are not alike, is no way to authenticate an item.

But, you know better than all of us..... And, we are just trying to ruin your sale.

Whether it is a fake or something used postwar by another country, it is still not an authentic WWII German bag. Isn't the toggle on the top strap made from metal? Like some I have seen used by the Czechs after the war. In fact, I remember seeing one which was found in a Czech firehouse about 15 years ago. This bag has the exact same color and style of contruction. BTW, the plug is fake, is made from soft rubber (obvious from the photos), and has been added to the bag to make it look like a WWII original. Late war item? Hardly. Note the aluminum fittings. Can you show us a comparison with other '44 style bags you have seen? Or perhaps a very late one in tan (like late MP pouches) with phosphate finish on fittings, a zipper which has not been nickle plated, and other late war features.
    Last edited by Willi Zahn; 12-10-2011, 08:13 PM.
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Been following this thread for a few days now. I must say they took their time with this one, but still nothing like the original.

Those original late war gasmask bags are really something neat to look at!

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn View Post
        Comparing a fake (or just not era) to a fake, and deciding they are not alike, is no way to authenticate an item.

But, you know better than all of us..... And, we are just trying to ruin your sale.

Whether it is a fake or something used postwar by another country, it is still not an authentic WWII German bag. Isn't the toggle on the top strap made from metal? Like some I have seen used by the Czechs after the war. In fact, I remember seeing one which was found in a Czech firehouse about 15 years ago. This bag has the exact same color and style of contruction. BTW, the plug is fake, is made from soft rubber (obvious from the photos), and has been added to the bag to make it look like a WWII original. Late war item? Hardly. Note the aluminum fittings. Can you show us a comparison with other '44 style bags you have seen? Or perhaps a very late one in tan (like late MP pouches) with phosphate finish on fittings, a zipper which has not been nickle plated, and other late war features.
        Thanks to your comment. But I have to comment that also. First of all:
        You don´t ruin my sale. It isn´t for sale anymore.

But you also hit the wrong track when you compare this bag to any cz bags (or any other country). How can a CZ bag have a (faded) german accetance stamp? And even if you add, that it could be added to increase the value, than we would have a cz bag with PRYM-buttons (not ORIGINAL PRYM) and the right zipper and a material which is definitely thicker than the canvas used on cz bags - and I don´t even have started to talk about the leather and sewing. I know these cz bags, too, and it is not the same material, this one here is much thicker. Also: Czechoslovakia laid behind the iron curtain.. do you really think they smuggled military equipment out of the eastern blog to sell it at a flea market for a bargain?

If you have the opinion that any late gas mask bag has to be a wooden toggle, you are definitely wrong, as I know some gas mask bags in german collections which were vet-acquired and two of them are late war models with a metal toggle. Bad for the "easy-solution-to-look-at-the-toogle", but true.

Also the ebd-plug: The fakes are thinner, they are softer and they are more like a rubber than a usable piece of equipment. Not like this one. And it is a shame, that the fakers took these ebd-plugs as a example to make their plugs, but I can´t change it.
        And please don´t make the mistake to mix apples with pears and look at Sturmgewehr44-pouches and compare this construction with FJ gas mask bags.

So, my side of the story. I didn´t intend to trick anybody, nor do I have the wish to sell it anymore.

But please keep in mind, as you said it: comparing fakes with pieces in question shouldn´t be the way one should judge about a piece. This was done in this thread, starting with the (not-like-the-fakes-looking-and-feeling) ebd44-plug. And then everything came to the next.

I am still happy with it. If you wouldn´t be: no damage is done, it stays in my collection and I know where it came from.

So, my side. No need to answer, as everybody has its opinion about it.

Comment

Just one example of a very late bag with a plug. Note how it is sewn in; just like most originals. You plug is an obvious fake, and sewn in rather poorly.
          Attached Files
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

The Iron Curtain has been down for more than 20 years now.

Anyhow, here is the bag I was mentioning. Photos taken of photos. It was empty and the other items were added for the photos. No rubber plug, same style of leather and metal toggle. Metal toggles have never been encoutnered on all the variations of known originals. One would think it would be something that would be encountered, if they had them, on early bags when the quality was much greater.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Willi Zahn; 12-11-2011, 09:24 AM.
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Unfortunately the veteran story gets so misused in the current market, that the item has to speak for itself. The sad reality of where the hobby has gone....
              Attached Files
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Another very late "ebd" bag (the tan one is as well) with the correct plug found on "ebd" bags. Note the hard rubber it is made from. The soft fake ones are easily identified from photos because of the "fluffy" edges and bogus marking.
                Attached Files
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Original plugs have a sort of canvas layer incorporated into the rubber. This is so they can be sewn into the bags.

Willi,
                  What colour is the rubber plug in your ebd bag ? Black or green ?

Comment

The very late tan one ('45 issue perhaps??) has black, the earlier green one ('44 issue) has a green one.
                    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn View Post
                      The very late tan one ('45 issue perhaps??) has black, the earlier green one ('44 issue) has a green one.
                      Thanks !

I believe all the recent found plugs were black.

Comment

Originally posted by SMP View Post
                        I believe all the recent found plugs were black.
                        Interesting! All the very thin late green "ebd" bags that I have seen have had green ones. Have only seen two tans ones, and I don't recall if the other one (owned by a forum member) has a black plug as well.
                        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi,
                          Look at the tins that came with them
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SMP View Post
                            Willi,
                            Look at the tins that came with them
                            Very cool! Weren't there some round tins as well?
                            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X