No announcement yet.

6th Regiment in Normandy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took the following shot without knowing it was also photographed on 6 June 1944. The very same place with US paras - dropped during the night- and citizens after the liberation. A dozen panels (in French) on the walls of houses around the church square give anecdotal accounts of the events. One of them is located at this monument. It seems to be that a US para sheltered behind it and caused many casualties among the FJs.
    Now...

Comment

and then...

Comment

The Fallschirmjäger had to withdraw inland towards Saint Côme du Mont (and then to Carentan). Vierville and Angoville au Plain are two little towns in this route.
        Vierville looking to Ste. Marie du Mont:

Comment

Angoville au Plain.
          The monument on the right is dedicated to medics Robert E. Wright and Kenneth J. Moore of 2nd batallion, 501st PIR of 101st Airborne. In Angoville-au-Plain church they tended both numerous wounded soldiers and a child, during the fightings of first days of the Landing.

I´ll try to post more photos. There is also a fantastic account of a similar visit made by Greg Way

Hope this helps. Best regards

http://www.eagle19.freeserve.co.uk/normandy.htm
          Last edited by Óscar G; 06-09-2004, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Hello all,
            sorry I could not chime in on this thread earlier, but I had to catch up with other things after I came back from Normandy the day before yesterday.

FJR6 still retains a very active veterans organisation run by KC winner Alexander Uhlig. To be honest, I cannot remember him wearing his medal for either the funeral of the recently found Fallschirmjäger nor the official ceremony at Caen.
            In fact, eighteen out of the twenty German veterans invited by President Chrirac were former FJR6 men.
            We had very memorable friendly encounters wuith veterans of the 101st US Airborne Division (they stayed at the same hotel as FJR6) and the 90th US Infantry Division (the former adversary at Seves Island). In fact, the 90th and FJR6 maintain a very friendly relationship since 1978 when they met first and started their "Enemies become Friends" and "For Peace in Freedom" programs.

Please understand, though, that I cannot post any pictures which will be used in my book due to my contract with the publisher. The book, however, should not take more than an additional six to eight weeks to be out for sale. It will eventually be available in English as well, my co-author Don Calder will get to work on the manuscript as soon as the German version is out.

I am glad to see that there are other people out there interested in this fine Regiment.

best regards,
            Volker

Comment

Hi Oscar,
              Thanks for the infor and pictures, any chance of posting the route to took??
              Regards
              Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

Hi All

Volker I have replied to your post under "Alex Uhlig war time photos" and I was at the same hotel , Alex Uhlig did wear his Knights cross at the funeral of Alfred Gartner pictures below but not at the ceremony at Caen. I very much look forward to your book when it comes out shortly and will definitely be purchasing it, can you post picture of yourself I must have seen you at the hotel. Here I post pictures from the funeral at La Cambe , and Seves Island Normandy

Robert

Last edited by SOLDAT1; 06-14-2004, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Hi there,

As we are very near from D-Days ceremonies, I think it will be nice to continue
                          an old thread with fresh stuff (in a way) concerning the FJR 6.

Here is the Soldbuch (in this case a duplicata - German collectors
                          hate that, never understand why ?!) of a Normandie and Ardennes veteran.

Concerning Normandie, this gentleman was wounded at Carentan and Nay.

Interesting post war entry concerning the attribution of the NKS.

Enjoy...

JYN

Last edited by JYN; 06-04-2006, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X