Unique and rare FJ helmets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unique and rare FJ helmets.

With Eric posting his new M36 helmet, I thought maybe we should start a thread where some of us could post some unique FJ helmets. John had posted his double decal Normady sawdust camo. As we all know, FJ helmets are not rare, but ones with wire, nets, certain camos and other markings are extremely rare and unique. To start things off here is my medic's helmet. The red cross is present on all four sides and covers the rear bolts and the right side bolt.

Glück ab,

Willi

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Not sure why the photo didn't come up.....will try again......

WZ

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

scarce jump helmets

Thanks for sharing this Willi. Great helmet and one you hardly ever see!
      Regards,
      John
      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Very, very nice. The only other one that I ever believed was Al's.

Excellent !!

EQ

Comment

Magnificent! I've only ever seen one other and it wasn't as good as this one. Bravo Willi! Thanks for showing us. BTW: is that a wartime camouflaged parachute canopy in the background? Excuse my ignorance but I've never seen one in the flesh or in colour.

Prosper

Comment

Hi Prosper,

Yes, that is part of a RZ20 canopy. Though I have a complete as issued and packed RZ20 and a RZ36, I do have several extra canopies...I pick them up when I find them cheap. I use them for displays, hang them in trees when we do a bivouac event at a re-enactments, or whatever. Will set up a display at the only flying Ju52 in Kreta warpaint at an airshow in June......adds to the look.

WZ

PS: Was hoping to see some helmets with this thread.
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hey Willi,
              How about a whitewash camo? Kind of unique to find a real one!

Comment

Hi Willi,
                Don't have any unique or rare helmets that you havn't already seen, but if you take a look a Ken's new STALHELM forum you will see a guy's collection of over 1000 lids, including 62 FJs !!
                There is bound to be some unique one's amoung that lot. The guy may be on this forum already, so sorry if i'm telling you something you already know. He signs in as RON R.
                If you are here Ron.....wow!!

Regards,
                Steve.

Comment

This was posted at GD.com and I wanted to see what you guys thought. My gut on this one tells me no. The rust to me looks new, and too intentional. I also don't like the fact that wire going over the decal in two places has caused no scratches atall. I think the helmet is real and the wire is perhaps old, but my gut tells me they haven't been together that long.

Opinions?

Here is a helmet that Manions now has a vailable. It is the rare model which could be used for either a helmet or a pasta strainer.

* I s h i t you not. Manions is actually trying to get $350 for this thing. Which begs the question I guess: how low will they go?

Comment

Originally posted by SMP
                    Hi Willi,
                    but if you take a look a Ken's new STALHELM forum you will see a guy's collection of over 1000 lids, including 62 FJs !!

Regards,
                    Steve.
                    Hi
                    What the link to this forum?

Comment

Helmet with wire/Eric's post

Hi Eric,

Hard to make an accurate call from the photo, but I agree with your thoughts on this helmet. Surprised that the decal is not at least a little damaged from the wire. Have a camo with a few small spots of active rust. It's as it came back, and haven't been able to bring myself to put anyting on it. Will email you a photo. Still, active rust always sets off an alarm, and this much really bothers me.
                      Best,
                      John
                      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Eric I share our concerns on the chickenwire. Chickenwire shouldn't be rusted like that. The rust on the wire going around the bottom circumference doesn't bother me but the chicken wire shouldn't. I also don't see any shiny wear spots to the high points of the wire.

Comment

Posted for John Hodgin.

Comment

Rust on helmets

Thanks for posting these for me Eric. The photos show semi-active rust from WW II period damage; the helmet is stored in a low moisture, low oxygen enviornment. Both details are from the same Normandie camo helmet. Note how the tiny scratches in the second detail have a red/brown cast; no oil or wax has been applied. The rust on the M38 with wire has an artificially created/over active look.
                            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Real rust on helmets

Sorry, that should be tiny scratches on the first photo. And this is only a scratch, not the symbol of a komet.
                              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X