No announcement yet.

Dick Winter's Fallschirmschutzen-Handschuhe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have to agree very much with the sentiment that we as collectors attach nostalgic value to an otherwise inanimate item that may be well worthless to a layman or collector of another interest. The assertion that items should only be valued on a strictly military historical basis is admirable but naive.

As collectors, we seek out those items that interest us, and as whole, collectors have always assigned a higher value to things that have a provenance to a notable character in history, whether it is assigned by popular culture or by heroic or infamous deeds, thereby increasing its value- the very definition of collections or collectibles.

A pencil box owned by Private Schmidt of the 333rd Kochgeschirr Repair Battalion (Schwere) would not garner as much interest or value as Hitler's pencil box.

Of course, this is mitigated or amplified by geographic region, particular interest, or culture. What may be of an intense interest and value to a collector of items with a provenance related to French historical figures may not have any interest whatsoever in an item that has a provenance that lays with an American historical figure.

I believe that it is very fair to say that collectors as a whole, by virtue of the nature of the historical significance to us personally, causes us to assign higher values to otherwise mute objects that otherwise hold no value.

We would most likely scoff at buying a Prada keyfob at USD $9500.00 touched by Donatella Versace, but would have no problems with paying $9500.00 for an old helmet worn by ObLt Witzig at Eben Emael.

Both items probably cost a few dollars to make, but the value lays with the person who temporarily holds onto the object in their lifetime, and then it is passed on to another collector...

Comment

Originally posted by Homer Hodge View Post
      Even in the Ardennes, the 82d fought as hard, suffered as much and performed as well as the 101st and yet the 101st defense of Bastogne has gotten far more publicity and is remembered today far more than the actions of the 82d.
      My uncle John, 82nd Airborne, BAR man, veteran of the Ardennes.
      Attached Files
      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

John, Do you by chance know what regiment your uncle was in?

Comment

I'd like to hear more too John. I'm currently looking for information on the man who captured the LWFD tunic I bought this week. From what I can gather from the information I got from his nephew he was in Co "B" 506th PIR.

-Bryant

Comment

504th Homer. Will talk to my cousins and get more details.

He was trucked to Bastogne, but then moved on to some other Belgian location, perhaps Withimont? The first thing he did upon exiting the truck was fill it with US dead. A somber beginning to combat in the Ardennes.
            Last edited by John Hodgin; 08-14-2009, 10:12 AM.
            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

504th - "Devils in Baggy Pants." A name taken from an entry in a dead German officer's diary at Anzio. "American parachutists - devils in baggy pants - are less than one hundred meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night. They pop up from nowhere, and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere."

Comment

504th - "Devils in Baggy Pants." A name taken from an entry in a dead German officer's diary at Anzio. "American parachutists - devils in baggy pants - are less than one hundred meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night. They pop up from nowhere, and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere."
                That's awesome!

Comment

Here is the cover of the official unit history of the 504th P.I.R. It was printed in Paris at the end of the war and is quite hard to find nowadays.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Inside cover - originally owned by Dan Sharpe of Company A.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here is the original quote from which they earned their nickname.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dag001 View Post
                        Here is the original quote from which they earned their nickname.
                        Very fine and collectible volume. Also like the address.
                        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Phil Nordyke has written an excellent and easily available history of the 504th entitled More Than Courage: The Combat History of the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment in World War II published by Zenith Press in 2008.
                          He has also written a superb histories of the 505th and the 82nd in World War II. I recommend all three of them.

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
                            Very fine and collectible volume. Also like the address.
                            A familiar address to me, too. It brings back lots of memories, most of them good.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X