EpicArtifacts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meeting with Lt. Ernst Sachse Fallschirmjäger II. and III. Btl. of LL-Sturm Regiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent to see you got to meet such a great veteran, meeting with men that where there are very special and unfortunately harder to find. Well done and thank for sharing.

Paul

Comment

Gentlemen, This is a truly amazing story. At almost 97 he still has both his faculties and his awards. Thank Your for sharing this. Threads like this make the WF just invaluable. Rich

Comment

Ok, i'll get the birthday ball rolling

What do you guys think of us sending him birthday cards with a simple nice note? He might get a real kick out of receiving B-day cards from around the world, and knowing that so many people are truly interested in this old "warhorse" . Maybe we could send them to the OPs address and he could deliver them at an appropriate time. This would also discourage the few bottom feeders who would write to him directly, trying to buy his medals..

Well I threw it out there, what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          What do you guys think of us sending him birthday cards with a simple nice note? He might get a real kick out of receiving B-day cards from around the world, and knowing that so many people are truly interested in this old "warhorse" . Maybe we could send them to the OPs address and he could deliver them at an appropriate time. This would also discourage the few bottom feeders who would write to him directly, trying to buy his medals..

I absolutely LOVE the idea! I would participate in a heartbeat. I would love to honor this man with well wishes from a sincere admirer!

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Hi Guys

Thanks for the gesture , but I think it might be a little more sensitive than we think . Andre and I had never met him before and he had no idea who we were . Andre was able to organize the meeting with him through a friends friend. When he met us, he was a little reluctant to tell us about his past as im sure he was wondering why these 2 guys want to know so much about him. Andre was writing down a couple of notes as he spoke and he wanted to know why we were doing this. I'm sure he thought we wanted to publish his story or something like that.We told him that we were very interested in FJ military history and that it was an honor to meet him. Which for us is it really was.

He also has no idea that we have put his information up on the WAF, im sure he does not even know that sites like this exist and that there is such an interest from all of us around world . Andre and I would like to meet him again but we don't want to bother the old man either. So I guess we will leave it for a while and once we have established a better or more trustworthy relationship with him over time , im sure there shouldn't be a problem writing to him (I can deliver letters) . By that time it will be his 98th birthday. By the looks of him he will make 100 no problem. Wouldn't that be a story in itself.

Best Regards
            Shaun

Comment

Amazing coincidence!

I was paging through the book of James Lucas "Storming Eagles" and on page 35 I came accross this photo of an unnamed Officer giving a parachute harness demonstration. Compare this to the photo of Lt Ernst Sachse who, as I posted in my earlier thread, is still alive and in good health living in South Africa
              Attached Files

Comment

Compare the photo above to this one
                Attached Files

Comment

A recent photo of Lt Sachse with the same medals
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AndreM View Post
                    I was paging through the book of James Lucas "Storming Eagles" and on page 35 I came accross this photo of an unnamed Officer giving a parachute harness demonstration. Compare this to the photo of Lt Ernst Sachse who, as I posted in my earlier thread, is still alive and in good health living in South Africa
                    amazing! that's him indeed.

Great find!

Jeroen

Comment

I agree....everything (medals etc.) is on the exact same spot....

Did you visit him twice?

martin

Comment

very interesting story.
                        i think your very lucky to have met him, theres not many vets left.
                        thanks for sharing the pics etc.

Comment

Very nice, thanks for sharing

Comment

Lt. Ernst Sachse must have been a great inspiration to these young RAD men. The man marked with the arrow is Gerhard Käppner who later became a Fallschirmjäger himself.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Wow David that is an excellent observation!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X