Helmet cover for my original M 38 Fallschirmjägerhelmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmet cover for my original M 38 Fallschirmjägerhelmet

I bought the helmet yesterday, and put the helmet in my first thread here.

this are pics of the cover. It can be made in field. Its absolutly correct made in my oppion. its absolutly the same materials. Helmet and cover belongs toghter, same size.

Maybe the helmet is from SS Fallschirmjägerbattalion 500/ 600 because the man I bought from ( he was long time Fallschirmjäger in the Bundeswehr and Fremdenlegion, Oberstleutnant) told me that he was a good friend of Siegfried Milius who was the last comander of Fallschirmjägerbattalion 500 / 600.

He showed my handsignd books of Milius and Photos, also the effects of Milius Uniform. Maybe this is the reason why there is no eagle anymore on my helmet.
    Back to the cover... I saw diffrent styles of this covers in books , there was made alot in the field. In one book I saw a splinter helmet cover made from a "Kälteschutzmaske"

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7...dra3261cd9.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4...dra3265gr4.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5...dra3267hs8.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/9...dra3268ja1.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3...dra3271if4.jpg

Congradulations on buying the original FJ Helmet. As far as the cover goes I would venture say it is a copy....I've seen this style for sale at Shows in Germany...please show some pics of the inner part of the cover. Those that I've seen have a RB# on the inner reinforcement band where the clips are sewn into the cover. The field made copies of these covers were not so elaborately made...this style copies the production style of the helmet cover. Bill

Originally posted by U.Glock View Post
    I bought the helmet yesterday, and put the helmet in my first thread here.

this are pics of the cover. It can be made in field. Its absolutly correct made in my oppion. its absolutly the same materials. Helmet and cover belongs toghter, same size.

Maybe the helmet is from SS Fallschirmjägerbattalion 500/ 600 because the man I bought from ( he was long time Fallschirmjäger in the Bundeswehr and Fremdenlegion, Oberstleutnant) told me that he was a good friend of Siegfried Milius who was the last comander of Fallschirmjägerbattalion 500 / 600.

He showed my handsignd books of Milius and Photos, also the effects of Milius Uniform. Maybe this is the reason why there is no eagle anymore on my helmet.
    Back to the cover... I saw diffrent styles of this covers in books , there was made alot in the field. In one book I saw a splinter helmet cover made from a "Kälteschutzmaske"

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7...dra3261cd9.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4...dra3265gr4.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5...dra3267hs8.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/9...dra3268ja1.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3...dra3271if4.jpg

Comment

sorry, posted in error.

Comment

helmet cover

Sorry .. why cant it be made in field , because its to good for field made?!? this is a big prblem, because surly it can be ok. I just saw copies of covers wich look like originals, because they get original fabric. but this is not a reason to say that originals are fakes, because I saw fake covers wich looks like the originals.

Can you say... no this is not made in field from a Kompanieschneider? I only can say that the material is correct.
        What about other covers in books wich looks absolutly diffrent from originals, but are made in field? are they all copies? For example a fieldmade helmetcover in the book: german camouflaged helmets of the second world war from Branislav Radovic part two, wire , netting, covers.... on page 466 to 473. there you can see a cover made from a splintermask. this is original too, but not made fabricstyle without RBNr. thats typical because in field they never stampel RB numbers.
        I think we all cant imagine how much they made in field because they had no good equipment. In the late war days more and more.

so I cant understand why this helmet should be original and the helmet cover not. I can understand that its no known fabricmade style.

Comment

The cover on P466 is a genuine issued FJ helmet cover that has been converted into a face veil. It is made from correct Luftwaffe splinter type material that is printed on one side only.
          The cover you have shown is made from Army splinter material ( ie, wrong material ) probably from a cut-up zeltbahn. This type of fake has been around for a very long time.
          Hope this helps.
          Regards,
          Steve

Comment

so I cant understand why this helmet should be original and the helmet cover not.
            Because an authentic cover is worth far more than a helmet.
            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

For example a fieldmade helmetcover in the book: german camouflaged helmets of the second world war from Branislav Radovic part two, wire , netting, covers.... on page 466 to 473. there you can see a cover made from a splintermask. this is original too, but not made fabricstyle without RBNr. thats typical because in field they never stampel RB numbers.
              I think we all cant imagine how much they made in field because they had no good equipment. In the late war days more and more.
              This book is overloaded with "selfmade" originals (helmets and parts) and shouldn´t be named as a reference for paratrooper collectors in first glance. Some items are ok, some not.

We´re talking about very rare and expensive items (thousends of Euros) here! You should keep in mind, that there´s always a reason for some to let you think, that an item MUST be original (and it´s not).

And these phrase "it must be late war" is not a thing we should take as somekind of silver bullet.

The cover in question is made of a Zeltbahn which colors have been faded over the years. Problem is, that the strip around shows still bright coloring......... such "little" mistakes are an indicator of what is period and what is not.
              Last edited by Gerd W.; 08-25-2007, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Helmetcover

surly its army fabric but what means that? I can show you pics where wehrmacht officers are wearing waffen SS field blouse in Planetree fabric with effects of german heer. There is not problem. Also you can find other mixed fabrics in diffrent units. In my opinon that means nothing. U boat soldiers was sometimes wearing english jackets. Thats a fact.

I dont believe in that stories, because I know that many items and equitment was changed between soldiers during the war. You can find german soldier having russian ppsh, or german soldiers wearing italian camouflage the list can go on and on.

surly those helmet covers will be copied, but other items will be copied too.

Can you 100% say that its impossible that the men who made this helmet cover used a german tent to make them?

Comment

Can you 100% say that its impossible that the men who made this helmet cover used a german tent to make them?

No, we can't.

Is there a maker mark or size stamp in the cover ?
                  Regards,
                  Steve

Comment

Well you can believe what you want to believe.....several things have been pointed out why it is wrong. Just because you have acquired an original helmet doesn't mean the cover is original as well. I have seen the exact same cover that was identified as a copy at several shows in Germany. Books are also not perfect as mistakes are made in reference books. I'm sure other long time collectors of Fallschirmjaeger items will also make their comments. I have given my opinion based on experience and what I have handled and seen over the years. Sorry that you don't agree. Bill

Sorry .. why cant it be made in field , because its to good for field made?!? this is a big prblem, because surly it can be ok. I just saw copies of covers wich look like originals, because they get original fabric. but this is not a reason to say that originals are fakes, because I saw fake covers wich looks like the originals.

Can you say... no this is not made in field from a Kompanieschneider? I only can say that the material is correct.
                    What about other covers in books wich looks absolutly diffrent from originals, but are made in field? are they all copies? For example a fieldmade helmetcover in the book: german camouflaged helmets of the second world war from Branislav Radovic part two, wire , netting, covers.... on page 466 to 473. there you can see a cover made from a splintermask. this is original too, but not made fabricstyle without RBNr. thats typical because in field they never stampel RB numbers.

so I cant understand why this helmet should be original and the helmet cover not. I can understand that its no known fabricmade style.

Comment

Yes I know what you mean. Surly it dont means its original only becaue I bought an original, on the other hand it dont means that its a copie only because some guys made helmetcovers like that.
                      The only thing I wanted to say is, that its not impossible.

Comment

The only thing I wanted to say is, that its not impossible.
                        Everyone here hopes it is a genuine field-made cover that is original to your helmet, but unless you picked it up from the veteran himself ( and have a war-time photo of him wearing it!) then the odds of it being so are tiny !
                        Unfortunately it is identical to hundreds of similar fakes that have been around for years. I know where I would place my money if I had to bet

Regards,
                        Steve

Nice helmet BTW !

Comment

Cover

lol sure same with ss camouflage.

Comment

Cover

The whole story is that I have this helmet from a old german oberstleutnant ( Bundewehr) who was allschirmjäger many many years. He was in contact with Siegfried Milius , who was last comander of SS Fallschirmjäger.
                            I saw Pics and a book of milius wich was hand signed from milius; in Herzlicher Kameradschaft etc.
                            He also had the Effects from Milius Jacket, collar Tabs and shoulder boards.
                            He knowed Milius very well and he told me where Milius lived exactly ( with adress, street and housenumer and so on). Milius died at the beginning of1990 years. Maybe its a helmet from SS Fallschirmjägerdivision 500/ 600.

I will make pics if the book and the Foto of Milius and show this here in the next few days.

Comment

I've heard many stories over the many years I have been collecting that doesn't mean I believe them all. I wouldn't ignore some of the valid comments made here on why the cover is not correct. Again believe what you want to believe. It appears you are convinced that it is an original so I have nothing more to say except enjoy your original FJ helmet. Bill

The whole story is that I have this helmet from a old german oberstleutnant ( Bundewehr) who was allschirmjäger many many years. He was in contact with Siegfried Milius , who was last comander of SS Fallschirmjäger.
                              I saw Pics and a book of milius wich was hand signed from milius; in Herzlicher Kameradschaft etc.
                              He also had the Effects from Milius Jacket, collar Tabs and shoulder boards.
                              He knowed Milius very well and he told me where Milius lived exactly ( with adress, street and housenumer and so on). Milius died at the beginning of1990 years. Maybe its a helmet from SS Fallschirmjägerdivision 500/ 600.

I will make pics if the book and the Foto of Milius and show this here in the next few days.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X