Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be Sure before you remove that wire!!!

Hi Dave
    If you do decide to take your wire off be double sure that its been a post war addition, I was advised to take a wire half basket off a m40 Heer and when I eventually got it off(it was very tight)it was clear that the mesh had been there for years the mesh had left a turin shroud negative type pattern on the paint work . It took even longer to put back as the wire was frail with age and I couldint quite get it back as tight as it had been.Better to get a few oppinions before you take it off!
    By the way try this web site this guy seems to do a good job of restoring lost para helmet leather http://germanparahelmets.com
    I know not everyone likes to add something like that to an incomplete helmet bit its an inexpencive option

Cheers Sean W

Comment

I don't understand why you would want a "FAKE" liner in an original helmet? I would think that would decrease the value. If you aren't going to wear this helmet I don't know why it is an issue -- it is what it is and putting in a restored liner would mean taking out what is there already. It would give the appearance of a mint liner in a well used shell. Just my opinion but I wouldn't even trust my expensive helmet with someone who wants to monkey with it.

Comment

Just to clarify my earlier point. I totally agree with Peter, I would never alter an original piece. Personally, I think putting a repro liner would ruin the value of the helmet. As far as investment, I doubt anyone would believe the camo is real with a repro liner. I think it looks great just the way it is. Just my thoughts.
        - Ty

Comment

Sensible words.....leave the helmet as it is: a repro liner will only devalue it .

Regards

Steve

Comment

OH YEAH,
            I would not put the liner in it, I have said before that it is what it is. If you look at some of the helmets in the books, They are not messed with, some are just shells but again they are what they are. I agree with you guys that a collector will buy this as it is, hey I did, and am happy with it. I have two other camos and paid a lot for them, I do not have 3/5ths into this one that I do in the others. They have nice liners and chinstraps. This one has a camo pattern that I do not have. I have made a goal to get 12 paras by my 50th birthday, got 7 years to go and 7 more helmets. I want different camos or different styles. I have a friend with a DD army, that will be a tough one to get, and of coarse the DD luft will be hard, but haveing a goal makes collecting challenging especially when you are not wealthy.
            Dave
            DaveJ

Comment

Dave, I accidently posted my thoughts under a new thread.
              John

Comment

As i said

Hi to all

As was said "this may not be an acceptable thing for some' , but if youre only going to buy one para helmet and its incomplete its an option!!(The British musium do this with Roman helmets and they say its ok)

Very sorry Sean

Comment

I don't think that adding a liner to a shell devalues the shell. However, I would say that you won't get as much out of the helmet with added liner as you've got in the two separate pieces. When I bought this tropical shell, it didn't have a liner. I put a repro liner in it and I am very happy with how it displays now. Of course, if I ever sell it, back to the "as found" condition it will go.
                  Attached Files

Comment

You do make a good point, especially if you want to display the helmet as you are doing. I know I tend to agree with Willi that I tend not to put my helmets on any kind of fake head as it isn't good for the leather.

I just think for the cost that it might not be worth it. But that is a nice shell you have and I understand that it is nicer to display with a liner.

Comment

Was that helmet sold by the dealer Ron Wollin? I remember looking at it last year at a local show here in Hampton Roads
                      Last edited by Luftm40; 04-01-2003, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Hi Andy,

According to a mutual friend, Bingo! You are up late, or early, PT at 5:00?!
                        Best,
                        John
                        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

John, just returned from a very different time zone Still up at odd hours. I thought that one looked familiar. To my eye, the shell and paint were OK. Not sure about the wire, as it was very loose as I remember. In fact, if I remember, you could actually sort of move the basket around on the shell, so those wear marks might actually line up correctly.
                          Last edited by Luftm40; 04-01-2003, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Hi again Andy,

I'm afraid I didn't study this one all that well, but I agree, didn't feel the wire was original.

Dave, it is a good paint scheme to have.

Have a good day,
                            John
                            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hey Jack

Neat assortment of tropi stuff. That M40 on the right, is that the one from Bill Shea? On the one on the left, is it factory made and what color is the liner? What kind of sweatband? Thanks.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X