Charlie and "The Monster"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eubank View Post
    That’s a very unique looking camo m38 on your fine set up Sergey , can you do a thread on it perhaps?
    Yes, sure I can show it soon. I'm ashamed but I don't have John's book yet
    Looking for FJR2 combat pics in Russia.

Comment

Ha, In some ways I envy you - as you’re in for a treat when you get it !

Comment

Originally posted by Sergey K. View Post

Thanks for additional info, John
        Don't worry I'm a keeper, researcher and collect militaria not because of trendy or business but for my deeply personal interests.
        Excellent Sergey, very good to know. So glad it is indeed "in a good home," Charlie would be pleased.

It is the same for me. During WWII my father served in Scotland, England, Italy, and France. When I was very young, probably eight or nine years old, I asked my father what he feared most during the war, his reply without any hesitation or thought was "German paratroopers." That kindled an enduring interest for Fallschirmjäger.

Here you go, page 85 of my book.
        Regards,
        John

Attached Files
        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

There is no doubt that the lower helmet on page 85 is a Ramcke helmet, as stated in the book, it was brought home from Alamein by an Australian soldier. The interesting story which is not in the book is the Aussie veteran's wife took the helmet and used it to keep her clothes pins in. When she hung her washing out to dry she would hang the jump helmet by it's chinstrap on the clothes line pole and grab the clothes pins out of the helmet. I believe Dal McGuirk knew this veteran and alerted Charlie about it. Charlie made an offer and bought the helmet and was thrilled to have it. There is more to the story, will share with the current owner if he is reading this. This was the first Ramcke helmet I ever handled, an almost religious experience at the time. :-)

Am certain the upper helmet is a Ramcke helmet also, but there is no history with it other than Charlie bought it from a dealer in California.
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post

Excellent Sergey, very good to know. So glad it is indeed "in a good home," Charlie would be pleased.

It is the same for me. During WWII my father served in Scotland, England, Italy, and France. When I was very young, probably eight or nine years old, I asked my father what he feared most during the war, his reply without any hesitation or thought was "German paratroopers." That kindled an enduring interest for Fallschirmjäger.

Here you go, page 85 of my book.
            Regards,
            John
            Thank you very much, John, l appreciate your kind words and all information you provided. I'm very proud to have items from such collections of experienced people like Charlie was, definitely he knew what he collected.
            Interesting to know the story about your father , if he was in direct contact to paratroopers on battlefields or just knew they are really dangerous?
            I'm not surprised why he told these words about them because they were really strong part of German war machine... as for me , I live in the area where they had very hard actions and extremely high casualties but many times fought successfully against our army and I started study these troops deeper, thus came to collect this theme.

Comment

Until seeing this thread, I did not know that Charlie was gone. I am sorry to hear this. He was a dedicated collector and fine gentleman and will be missed in this hobby. Another member of the 'old guard' slips away..........

Comment

Hi Sergey, my father was never in direct contact with Fallschirmjäger, he was in the US Army Air Corps. He did have some "indirect" contact with Me110s and Do17s. LOL. However, the fighting reputation of Fj was well known to him.

Thanks Leroy.
                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi Sergey, my father was never in direct contact with Fallschirmjäger, he was in the US Army Air Corps. He did have some "indirect" contact with Me110s and Do17s. LOL. However, the fighting reputation of Fj was well known to him.

Thanks Leroy.
                  Hi John, thanks .

Comment

Sergey, an interesting observation regarding Charlie and his collection. When first visiting Charlie in the 1990s we discussed jump smocks extensively. At the time Charlie had two step in jump smocks and he and I both had splinter step in smocks which had been converted into button up models. Charlie's splinter step in was converted with splinter drillich material. Mine was converted using green GM fabric. Both were dated late 1940 if memory serves. Charlie did not have a splinter step in smock in original step in configuration and he was never able to obtain one. This is very interesting IMO since Charlie had been collecting for 40 years at that time.
                    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Found a photo of Charlie's converted step in jump smock. Forgive the quality, the photo is almost 30 years old. It's highly likely that a WAF member now owns this fine example.
                      Attached Files
                      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

What a fantastic and respectful post about a mentor.
                        well played John
                        owen

Comment

Sergey, an interesting observation regarding Charlie and his collection. When first visiting Charlie in the 1990s we discussed jump smocks extensively. At the time Charlie had two step in jump smocks and he and I both had splinter step in smocks which had been converted into button up models. Charlie's splinter step in was converted with splinter drillich material. Mine was converted using green GM fabric. Both were dated late 1940 if memory serves. Charlie did not have a splinter step in smock in original step in configuration and he was never able to obtain one. This is very interesting IMO since Charlie had been collecting for 40 years at that time.
                          Very important information, John.
                          This confirms that splinter step ins much more rarer than greens one at least as unconverted .
                          I also never seen converted smock used with drillich fabric. Seems that was made quite late right before m42 smock prod.or later and not so many numbers of such smocks still exist .
                          The smock on your photo is splinter on brown fabric ? Very nice and rare example.
                          Last edited by Sergey K.; 09-03-2020, 06:04 AM.

Comment

So by the time the splinter step ins were being made , they had already realised it was an obsolete , impractical/unpopular style , and so those got converted straight away ?

Comment

Originally posted by eubank View Post
                              So by the time the splinter step ins were being made , they had already realised it was an obsolete , impractical/unpopular style , and so those got converted straight away ?
                              Exactly , and I think they made a decision convert smocks straight after first land actions when they understood that in some cases they are not good for practice in field, especially if the soldier wounded or for personal reasons

Comment

Noted , thanks gents - I see why they are so very rare !

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X