TAN M-38 with history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TAN M-38 with history

About 20 years ago, I had seen this helmet at an elderly collector's house. I had tried to obtain it, but this good man explained to me that he could not part with this object, it being a family memory. He then told me the story of this helmet. At the end of 1944, during the German debacle, in the small village of Hélécine in Belgium, a German parachutist has been shot dead by a farmer with a shotgun. This unfortunate soldier was trying to return to Germany by bicycle. He had 60 kilometers left to reach his country . After this tragic gesture, the father of the owner of the helmet who was not far from there cut the chin straps to pick up the helmet. He even had the good idea to take the pieces of chinstrap away (But not the long strap). In the sixties, the son inherited the helmet and sewn up the chin straps to complete the set.
    I had explained to this gentleman that if one day he wanted to part with it, I was very interested. He replied that it would be up to his son to decide whether or not to sell it. From time to time I called him back, but nothing to do. Years have passed. I had lost hope. Until last Sunday, where I got a call from the Grand son. Her father had passed away last year and had left my contact details in his phone book. He asked me if I was still interested in this item he wanted to sell. He had seen the prices on the net and was amazed that it was worth so much money. I finaly bought the helmet.

About the helmet, it is in a well worn condition without rust on the exterior. It has been well preserved during these years. Chin straps have of course been sewn up.
    Something unusual is that the markings are upside down. I already have seen that on some other original examples.
    The left rear screw is probably a field replacement. There is no trace of paint on it and when you look inside the helmet, you can see that the four nuts are rusted and untouched and impossible to unscrew.
    Lot number is 1531, aluminium band and early beige foam reinforcement.
    Attached Files

What a nice helmet , congrats pieand .

Comment

Very attractive tan camo!! Well worth the wait. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.
      When you go home
      Tell them for us and say
      For your tomorrow
      We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
      Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

It was yours to have! Very nice and interesting provenance.

Comment

impressive piece and history! congrats!

Inviato dal mio SM-G988B utilizzando Tapatalk

Comment

WOW!! what a great score!! with provenance.

Comment

War is hell. Nice helmet, tragic story behind it. Congratulations.

Comment

Very interesting helmet , thanks for posting it up

Comment

Nice tan camo helmet with a history....worth waiting for it

Comment

Amazing helmet, great story! Thanks for sharing. Love the ghost decal under the paint!
                    http://www.sandeboetiek.com

sigpic

Comment

Beautiful helmet, congratulations. I am wondering what a tan M38 is doing in the middle of a Belgian winter in late 1944, however. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by beachgrip View Post
                        Beautiful helmet, congratulations. I am wondering what a tan M38 is doing in the middle of a Belgian winter in late 1944, however. Any thoughts?
                        Not the first one in tan color found in belgium , I can see a fj with a kreta or Africa cuff title in the book « la poche de Mons »

Comment

Originally posted by beachgrip View Post
                          If you look through pictures of Normandy taken in the 1944 time-frame, you will often see FJs and others wearing tan camo helmets. Same even in Eastern Front. It is not a hard and fast rule that tan camo helmets were only worn in North Africa or Italy. It is just that such great numbers of those camoed helmets were worn in those theaters, that it makes it a higher probability. We are talking probability, but not certainty.
                          When you go home
                          Tell them for us and say
                          For your tomorrow
                          We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
                          Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X