Badge or award loops for a smock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Badge or award loops for a smock?

My Luftwaffe splinter camo pattern converted step in Fallschirmjäger smock has two small loops on the bottom of the left breast pocket. I have looked at many members smock photos and wartime photos of FJ and have not seen one with an award or badge there. Does anyone know what these loops were used for or might have been for? Thanks.

The loops were likely for a jump badge. We have seen photos of FJs during parades with badges. I have a 3rd pattern splinter smock with loops as well.
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
      The loops were likely for a jump badge. We have seen photos of FJs during parades with badges. I have a 3rd pattern splinter smock with loops as well.
      yes i agree FJ abzeichen loop, and with rank insignia i vote this one was used for walking out ,maybe not but good chance here

Comment

This smock, I believe.
        https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...ger-jump-smock

Superb smock all round

Comment

Originally posted by HAF View Post

yes i agree FJ abzeichen loop, and with rank insignia i vote this one was used for walking out ,maybe not but good chance here
          Not exactly sure what you mean by "walking out", but it has several wartime repairs, likely done during the "converting" process from a step in, so it was well used before the change. The 3 gulls are also on top of the single gull edge, so either they were added after to show the new rank of the wearer or they were short on complete Oberfeldwebel rank insignia.

Comment

Yes, same smock. Almost let it go 7 months ago. Part of a collection I have had for 25 years. Obtained from an American who designed clothing and equipment for the US Mountain troops during the war.

Comment

Originally posted by NatS View Post

Not exactly sure what you mean by "walking out", but it has several wartime repairs, likely done during the "converting" process from a step in, so it was well used before the change. The 3 gulls are also on top of the single gull edge, so either they were added after to show the new rank of the wearer or they were short on complete Oberfeldwebel rank insignia.
              walking out i mean sunday/parade smock ,not sure if thats the case here ,but some like that with loops and arm insignia are know as Germany closet survivors ..all in all superb Knochensack

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. It is quite an impressive smock. I know a bit about the American who ended up with it but not about the history of the actual item or it's FJ owner. I was just researching LP 42 flare pistols as part of the FJ equipment. This smock has the flare holder in Olive green. All the "converted" add on material is the same also. I read that these flare guns could also shoot explosive rounds, almost like a grenade launcher. Amazing. I am not sure what the sewn on loop on the rear bottom left is for, do you know? Thanks for any information.
                Attached Files

Comment

The loop is secure a shovel. Most flare guns were used to fire just regular flares. Some were designed (the "Z" pistols) for explosive rounds.

So the guy who posted this smock before never owned it?
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

No.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X