• Show
Clear All

Very nice map, and a really great display Bob

Comment

Dr. Hartmann, KIA at crete:
      Attached Files

Comment

Appreciate the feedback on the display gents

Patrick, here is one of 6 death registration cards Ancestry.com has on Dr. Hartmann. It indicates he was KIA by a rifle shot(s).

vr

Bob
        Attached Files

Comment

It seems his Zug was dropped onto camouflaged Allied positions near Platanias, east of Maleme. Kurowski says he was killed by a sniper, as were several others, and survivors captured by British troops.

Comment

These are AWESOME pics, I always like the "then-now" comparisons.
            QUESTION - Gents - do you recommend a particular book on this battle to read? I know Antony Beevor has authored a book on Crete, but I am not too fond of his style (I didn't like his Berlin book).
            I am leaning towards John Hall Spencers' book on the Crete operation, unless someone has a better recommendation. Thanks! Dan

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Jean-Yve.../dp/2913903371
              Originally posted by zook View Post
              QUESTION - Gents - do you recommend a particular book on this battle to read? I know Antony Beevor has authored a book on Crete, but I am not too fond of his style (I didn't like his Berlin book).
              I am leaning towards John Hall Spencers' book on the Crete operation, unless someone has a better recommendation. Thanks! Dan

Comment

Originally posted by zook View Post
                I think a very good and readable account ( important that bit!) is Alan Clark's The Fall of Crete, you can get right into it, not too dull or heavy going, with plenty of good eye witness accounts. Only 200 pages too.

I also agree JYN's book is good if you can find it.
                Crete - The battle for Heraklion is very good too, by Yannis Prekatsounakis...but a lot more detailed and focuses on that area.

P.s I did like Beevor's book on Crete.

Comment

Originally posted by Waffenreich View Post
                  I've posted this on previous anniversaries, but in the interest of keeping this Thread alive I offer this map that was produced specifically for the invasion and was used in it as you can see some bloody fingerprints on it (above the helmet, near Suda Bucht, and right over th Gj's shoulder strap).

For our American members, have a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend

vr

Bob

Bob, that is a museum quality display you have there, proof again that many private collections surpass anything in museums for care, presentation and dare I say research too sometimes...

Nothing new sadly, all I have is a Luftwaffe picture album from a member of 14. / FJR 3 with a Kreta reference in it for a fallen FJ - Feldwebel Döring.

More pictures here:-

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...1008155&page=2

Regards, Paul
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Waffenreich View Post
                    Appreciate the feedback on the display gents

Patrick, here is one of 6 death registration cards Ancestry.com has on Dr. Hartmann. It indicates he was KIA by a rifle shot(s).

vr

Bob
                    Thanks Bob!
                    Had found this in an old military magazine from the 70s:

"Almost unnoticed the fate of a FJ San-Kp commanded by Oberarzt Dr. Hartmann was fullfilled during those hours (when the first planes landed at the airfield), just a few km from Malemes: Dropped under heaviest fire, the sanis landed spreaded between the english trenches at Platanias. Most were immidiately KIA. Dr. Hartmann and seven of his men defended themself for 150 mins in a dry water trench against the from 3 sites attacking english (soldiers).

"These are our 2 last rounds - than we are finished!" shouted the Oberarzt to his Uffz. Sieber. Hartmann fired those last two bullets, than fell down, hit in the head.

"I trowed my last two handgrenades", Sieber reported later. "Then the english stormed from all sites. Wounded I became a POW, and was brought to Chania".

Comment

Attached Files
                      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

From the July 14, 1941 issue of "Life" magazine. The article is scattered throughout the issue.
                        Attached Files
                        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

From the July 26, 1941 issue of "Collier's".
                          Attached Files
                          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

In addition to JYN's great book, here are the few I have kept (after ditching others discussed here).
                            Attached Files
                            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Great stuff Willi, especially the 2001 reunion pics.

Here's the first in a series of 17 newspapers I received last June with updates on MERKUR. The first reported story in the German press to my understanding was on 24 May due to the secrecy of the operation and subsequent questions as to whether-or-not it was going to succeed.

Here's the 24 May issue. I'll post the others on the corresponding days.

And, thanks Paul for your kind comments and you're welcome Patrick.

vr

Bob
                              Attached Files

Comment

Two brothers... Arthur and Wilhelm Cramer

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X