FJ Trouser Shade Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Gran Sasso;8720939]Exactly

So far i have only seen 2 pairs of prewar trousers, both in fieldgrey.

Made of captured dutch material examples date 1940 and 1941.

After those, all kind of fieldgrey shapes appear, resulting of less quality materials used.[/QUOTE

As with most of us, my experience with prewar trousers is limited. Still, my experience is similar to Patrick’s. Fieldgrey was produced in subtle variations in hue. Have always considered fieldgrey to be kind of a greygreen.

Jump trousers of Dutch wool are much more green, vibrant if you like. Not the same color as, but “vibrant” green as with police uniforms.

Fieldgrey jump trousers throughout the war do appear more greenish than many other fieldgrey uniforms. Nevertheless they are still various hues of greenish gray, without the blue that Willi mentions. That blue is in the Dutch trousers to my eyes.

It should go without saying that these are my opinions, who knows just how subjective color is for us.
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Green FJ pants

Hello,

I'm going to speculate on the wearing of pants made from Dutch woolen cloth.

The German paratroopers (like all the other German soldiers) having taken part in the campaign in the west from May to June 1940 did not receive honorary insignia (like for Sudetes or Narvik) or armband (like for Kreta or Afrika).

As a result, commanders of units may have had the idea of having pants made of fabric from a defeated country to reward their men and differentiate them from other paras. The "vibrant" green of the pants combined perfectly with the gray of the Fliegerbluse and it would identify veterans of the 1940 campaign at first glance.

What do you think of my theory, gentlemen?

Ysto

Comment

Originally posted by Ysto View Post
        Hello,

The German paratroopers (like all the other German soldiers) having taken part in the campaign in the west from May to June 1940 did not receive honorary insignia (like for Sudetes or Narvik) or armband (like for Kreta or Afrika).

As a result, commanders of units may have had the idea of having pants made of fabric from a defeated country to reward their men and differentiate them from other paras. The "vibrant" green of the pants combined perfectly with the gray of the Fliegerbluse and it would identify veterans of the 1940 campaign at first glance.

Ysto

Comment

Originally posted by Rheinmetall View Post
          I have always wondered why jump trousers were not manufactured using LW blue/gray wool considering the blouse and standard LW trousers were. If it were motivated by being a better visual blend to the surroundings in the field than one would expect they would have applied the same rational to the blouse which was worn in conjunction with it. Anyone wish to speculate?
          I think it was motivated solely with camouflage reasons. On the other hand, there was no need to apply the green colour to the blouse because FJs were supposed to use smocks during combat so the blouse was not exposed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ysto View Post
            Hello,

Ysto

I think it was simply for practical reasons just as III Reich used dozens of other countries captured items (Czech, Polish, French, Italian, etc. etc.). Nothing could go to waste.

However, I will never understand why Germans used captured Russian AT guns in Africa, where there was limited amount of ammo, when, if used on eastern front, captured ammunition was almost unlimited.

Comment

Originally posted by kiler View Post
              I think it was simply for practical reasons just as III Reich used dozens of other countries captured items (Czech, Polish, French, Italian, etc. etc.). Nothing could go to waste..
              Exactly!

Case in point:
              https://virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=6420
              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi,

Here my only one pair in Feldgrau with a different shade for the side pocket flap.

Thanks, David
                Attached Files

Comment

Those mismatched pieces are generally enountered on '43 dated examples.

I didn't quite understand these "Dutch wool" trousers in the past, but now I see how frequently they are encountered. I guess the wool is heavier, and my 1941 dated pair may be made from Dutch wool as well.
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
                    Those mismatched pieces are generally enountered on '43 dated examples.

I didn't quite understand these "Dutch wool" trousers in the past, but now I see how frequently they are encountered. I guess the wool is heavier, and my 1941 dated pair may be made from Dutch wool as well.
                    Hi, Willi

My pair is dated 1942.

David

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X