FJ Trouser Shade Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FJ Trouser Shade Question

When did they begin producing jump trousers in the stereotypical “Feldgrau” rather than the more vibrant, almost blue-green wool on early examples ?
    Last edited by Sergey K.; 05-05-2020, 08:56 AM.

Those blue green ones were made in 1940 of captured dutch materials - when this ran out they started / went back to fieldgrey. When? Id say after crete, when they had to refill the losses.
    Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful Patrick, now get them off the lawn! LOL!

And as one would expect Escapeh, examples from Dutch wool are few and far between.
      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Detail for comparison.
        Attached Files
        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
          Those blue green ones were made in 1940 of captured dutch materials - when this ran out they started / went back to fieldgrey. When? Id say after crete, when they had to refill the losses.

Thanks for the the responses, guys.

I’m still a bit confused:

Trousers made before the Dutch wool was captured were made of German feldgrau(Early production of higher quality, and in a more vibrant green(?)- any surviving examples of those? And did they continue to produce them through 1940, or did Dutch wool account for all production during this time?

Comment

Originally posted by Escapeh View Post
            Trousers made before the Dutch wool was captured were made of German feldgrau(Early production of higher quality, and in a more vibrant green(?)- any surviving examples of those?
            Surviving early one:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru....php?t=1006863

More later

Comment

and don't forget all the private purchase trousers made from top quality wool

Comment

Trousers made before the Dutch wool was captured were made of German feldgrau(Early production of higher quality, and in a more vibrant green?
                Feldgrau is Feldgrau, IMO the “vibrant” green examples are those of Dutch wool.
                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Wow Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
                    Fine items, and so useful to see the colour contrast , including with the green of the grass as a reference point.

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
                      Feldgrau is Feldgrau, IMO the “vibrant” green examples are those of Dutch wool.
                      Exactly

So far i have only seen 2 pairs of prewar trousers, both in fieldgrey.

Made of captured dutch material examples date 1940 and 1941.

After those, all kind of fieldgrey shapes appear, resulting of less quality materials used.

Comment

I have always wondered why jump trousers were not manufactured using LW blue/gray wool considering the blouse and standard LW trousers were. If it were motivated by being a better visual blend to the surroundings in the field than one would expect they would have applied the same rational to the blouse which was worn in conjunction with it. Anyone wish to speculate?

Comment

I guess since the Fliegerbluse was a standard issue item they didn't feel the need to make a new one in a different color. FJs in garrison wore all blue-gray uniforms. FJ helmets, smocks, and trousers were specifically designed for parachute operations so there was no point in making them in blue-gray. Same goes for the cap.
                          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I was listening to the IWM oral history of Robert Frettlöhr the other day (again) , and he mentions on qualifying -after very hard training - into the paras that they wore these different green trousers , which set them apart from the rest.

Comment

Trousers made before the Dutch wool was captured were made of German feldgrau(Early production of higher quality, and in a more vibrant green(?)- any surviving examples of those? And did they continue to produce them through 1940, or did Dutch wool account for all production during this time?
                              I am slightly confused as well. Early Feldgrau FJ trousers had more green in them, just like Heer uniforms early on. But they are still Feldgrau, which had numerous slight color variations.

My '41 dated trousers are in the same color as Gustav's '36 dated pair. I understand the blue tint to the green Dutch ones, but the ones John posted on the right seem like earlier Feldgrau.

A friend of mine runs a very successful business in making superb reenactor uniforms, and is also a very advanced collector. Here is what he posted on his website:

"We have a lot of questions about wool color. Here's the one and only deal:
                              We copied original field gray garments. "Field gray" comes in dozens of shades, depending on dye lot, material content (wool versus substitute fibers) and so on. The base color is essential a mix of gray, green and blue fibers, that blend together to yield the color."
                              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X