No announcement yet.

M38 fj wire camo dated june 1944

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the positive comments Gents, I am super happy and honoured to own this piece of history.

As far as the FJ regiment "6 camos sawdust tan and green" go I'm sure it would make for a very interesting discussion. One way to start working this out is to look at surviving examples that have the company number written inside the liner or shell. In the 1st 2 days 6 June 1944 and 7 June 1944 the 1st battalion of FJ Regiment 6 was all but annihilated. There is a famous picture of American paratroopers holding FJ Regiment 6 sawdust camos. I think that pic was taken just after they had ambushed the 1st battalion of FJ regiment 6 at Vierville on June 7.

I believe that most of the FJ Regiment 6 Camos came from this battalion as I have seen quite a few surviving examples. Photographic evidence also shows that there were many different helmets used in Normandy. Wire,nets, helmet covers and different types of camos were all used.

Comment

Fantastic helmet, Shaun, nice score Love the details showed it camoed with wire alraedy attached..scratched date makes it twice unique..

And I'm with you and others who think that "classical" Normandy FJR6 used by only some separate units, not all paratroopers .
      Looking for FJR2 combat pics in Russia.

Comment

Shaun,

Congratulations ! I really like it and also want it

Comment

Very nice mate!!!

Comment

Amazing helmet!! Congrats

Comment

Great untouched helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun Winkler View Post
                Thanks for the positive comments Gents, I am super happy and honoured to own this piece of history.

As far as the FJ regiment "6 camos sawdust tan and green" go I'm sure it would make for a very interesting discussion. One way to start working this out is to look at surviving examples that have the company number written inside the liner or shell. In the 1st 2 days 6 June 1944 and 7 June 1944 the 1st battalion of FJ Regiment 6 was all but annihilated. There is a famous picture of American paratroopers holding FJ Regiment 6 sawdust camos. I think that pic was taken just after they had ambushed the 1st battalion of FJ regiment 6 at Vierville on June 7.

I believe that most of the FJ Regiment 6 Camos came from this battalion as I have seen quite a few surviving examples. Photographic evidence also shows that there were many different helmets used in Normandy. Wire,nets, helmet covers and different types of camos were all used.
                Really good idea! Maybe a separate thread to be started with any named fjr6 helmets details put on there, to add to over time ?
                I know we have a great general fjr6 helmets thread but the name info is rather dispersed within it. My FJR6 m38 is named to a Baumgartner of 11 th company, so 3rd Battalion, and Herle B , through his great research informed me was wounded on 11 June at Carentan itself, so a time that saw heavy fighting with US para's and when the FJ's pulled out. Baumgartner wrote his name in the leather liner but also inscribed it in boxy lettering to the inside rear metal rim too.

Comment

Hi Shaun,

Congrats for your fantastic helmet and for your great quality pictures.

Too often, helmet's Collectors do not know how to take good pictures or do not spend enough time and efforts with their camera to take good pictures.

A helmet like yours is a real gem that deserve good pictures, and you did it, so thank you for your efforts and for sharing.

Comment

congrats Shaun! it's a rolls royce of m38!!

Comment

Originally posted by hervé30 View Post
                      Hi Shaun,

Congrats for your fantastic helmet and for your great quality pictures.

Too often, helmet's Collectors do not know how to take good pictures or do not spend enough time and efforts with their camera to take good pictures.

A helmet like yours is a real gem that deserve good pictures, and you did it, so thank you for your efforts and for sharing.
                      Thanks to all for the positive replies.

Thanks Herve I knew I had to do a good job of it to show just how nice the camo paint looks in sunlight.

Comment

Hello,
                        It's a beauty, congrats Shaun
                        Regards
                        Patrick

Comment

Shaun, you certainly invested the time to take such fine photos! Your tremendous efforts (like flying for 26 hours!) in obtaining such a special helmet, as well as your dedication and passion for the hobby, are noteworthy. My kind of collector. Always a pleasure when you come over for a show.
                          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
                            Shaun, you certainly invested the time to take such fine photos! Your tremendous efforts (like flying for 26 hours!) in obtaining such a special helmet, as well as your dedication and passion for the hobby, are noteworthy. My kind of collector. Always a pleasure when you come over for a show.
                            Thanks Willi. Much appreciated

Comment

Wire FJ Helmet

Greetings Shaun,
                              Another fine addition to Your Collection. Congratulations! Sincerely, DJB

Comment

Very very nice helmet. Congrats Shawn.
                                Best,
                                Gisle

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X