Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M38 fj wire camo dated june 1944

Hi Gents

It's been a while since I posted so here is one I want to share. Not an easy helmet to photograph so I hope I have done it justice . I chose to take pics outside with this one to get the true colours of the camo. The helmet has been sitting in a prestigious collection for the past 20 odd years . The helmet was brought home by a Colorado veteran and originated in the Denver area. It has never been published or shown on forums. I guess what makes this helmet so special is the Normandy connection. The vet scratched the date 12 June 1944 on the paint which was the day that Carentan was taken by the US Airborne. Impossible to tell if it was taken there but it's a significant date in the battle of Normandy. Over and above that it's a wire turtle pattern camo which in my opinion doesn't get much better than that.

Shaun
    Attached Files

A very nice helmet! Thank you for sharing

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Wow ! Fascinating helmet Shaun, crisp clear pictures too.
        I have been looking forward to seeing this one since you mentioned it a little while back.
        Great camo/ wire M38.

Comment

Moerse nice.

Comment

Hi Shaun,

Very nice M38
            The scratched date makes even more special.
            I don't know if this one comes from the Carentan battle, the Fallschirmjäger Rgt 6 and the Götz Von Berlichingen has been involved in these terrible fightings.
            But once again an terrific M38 !

Phil.

Comment

Love this helmet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Shaun, thanks for sharing this one. It simply doesn't get any better. Great helmet and date.

Rich

Comment

Superb helmet Shaun! Congrats!

A pleasure to have handled it at the SoS, and see it again.

Regarding FJR6. One of the discussions we had at the show was whether only one battalion (or perhaps 2) of FJR6 wore what we call "FJR6 camos"; meaning the tan/green sawdust camos. Rather likely other camos were also worn by FJR6 members.
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Thank God for American vets and their insatiable, indefatigable urge to hoover up souvenirs from battlefields around the world. Keeps the hobby going!
                    WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
                      Superb helmet Shaun! Congrats!

A pleasure to have handled it at the SoS, and see it again.

Regarding FJR6. One of the discussions we had at the show was whether only one battalion (or perhaps 2) of FJR6 wore what we call "FJR6 camos"; meaning the tan/green sawdust camos. Rather likely other camos were also worn by FJR6 members.
                      That must be right , plain tan and /or green Camo's too surely, ...like the green ones in Phils thread. Or at least even within a battalion some may not have had the classic mix of green, tan & sawdust...

Comment

What a great helmet! Congratulations Shaun!

Cheers,
                        Terry

Comment

A wonderful camo helmet. Great color exhibited, good choice to photograph in natural light. The thin and fully cured paint as seen in post #4 shows its having been applied c. 1944.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X