No announcement yet.

Eben Emael Gliders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Julien...That is a nice photo which is much closer and almost the same angle as my EE-4

Did you view the link that I posted on this thread on a previous discussion about Eben Emael started by my good friend Jim Pool.

There were several thoughts about how the storch got there in that discussion

Ian Tannahill said...My thoughts are that the Storch was intended to be used to transport wounded Fallschirmjäger to a hospital in Germany. What do you guys think?

Where the Storch has crashed there is a sudden rise. Perhaps the pilot of the Storch did not see this!

I think someone else mentioned that it may have been used as an observation plane and got shot down.

Comment

I will take a closer look at the thread mate. I passed through it, but probably missed these informations.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
        Hello Kiler.... Yes it was done on purpose because of the secrecy of the operation. The use of Gliders was classified as secret so no identifiable markings were placed on them.
        Thank you for your answer Bill and for posting this great pictures.

Przemek

Comment

Bill,

I do not frequent this section very much but what fantastic pictures of the first operation to use shaped charges (if memory serve correct). These pictures must be some of the rarest and most desirable for FJ collectors. Thanks for sharing.

Gary B
          ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Hello Gary,

Thanks and correct on both counts. I've received many requests to sell these very rare images of the Eben Emael gliders. I have kept them for their historical significance and the fact those gliders were destroyed only days after the capture of the Fort. I'm also a Fallschirmjaeger collector. I have shared them here and on an older thread (WAF link provided) and also with several collectors/authors.

BTW I have and continue to share my rather large photo collection in various other threads on WAF.

Bill

Originally posted by Gary B View Post
            Bill,

I do not frequent this section very much but what fantastic pictures of the first operation to use shaped charges (if memory serve correct). These pictures must be some of the rarest and most desirable for FJ collectors. Thanks for sharing.

Gary B

Comment

Bill,

These, in my opinion, would be the pinnacle in rarity of pictures for the FJ collector or researcher. I can see that your in box would be flooded with requests to own these pictures.

Good on you that you have kept them, and from the other thread appear to have more such pictures!

Congrats!

Gary B
              ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Also a very interesting link with a few pictures that I have not seen before

http://www.luftfahrtarchiv-koeln.de/ebenemael.htm

Sad to say it is only in German language available

Matt

Comment

Matt,

Thanks for posting that link. I agree very interesting! A friend of mine recently sent me a really interesting scan of a original photo with an aerial view of the gliders that landed around the Fort EE. He also sent me a scanned view of the original preliminary RK document for Witzig that he has in his collection. Sorry I cannot post them without his permission but I'm going to try like hell to get that photo of the gliders.

Originally posted by August von Mackensen View Post
                  Also a very interesting link with a few pictures that I have not seen before

http://www.luftfahrtarchiv-koeln.de/ebenemael.htm

Sad to say it is only in German language available

Matt

Comment

This is the aerial photo Bill is referring to, my guess is this is around noon on May 11. Although only a relatively narrow portion of the entire fortress can be seen, I like the bird’s eye view it gives (and the gliders of course!). I added the notes of notable features and my best guess of the specific gliders. I believe Bill’s first post, EE - 1, was taken at ground level, from the far left side of this picture, looking across left to right toward Vise 1, showing gliders #5 & #8 in this aerial view. Perhaps Ian, Simon or others can help me ID the gliders captured in this image.

Regards,
                    Mike
                    Attached Files

Comment

Mike,

Thank you for posting your photo of the birds eye view of the gliders at Eben Emael. I'm sure some of the experts will provide their knowledge as to the location and pilots of each glider.

I was out bidded by quite a bit on a EE glider photo on Ebay. I don't think it was one of the gliders that landed by the casemates/bunkers. Maybe one of those that landed near the bridges.

Originally posted by unglesbeemj View Post
                      This is the aerial photo Bill is referring to, my guess is this is around noon on May 11. Although only a relatively narrow portion of the entire fortress can be seen, I like the bird’s eye view it gives (and the gliders of course!). I added the notes of notable features and my best guess of the specific gliders. I believe Bill’s first post, EE - 1, was taken at ground level, from the far left side of this picture, looking across left to right toward Vise 1, showing gliders #5 & #8 in this aerial view. Perhaps Ian, Simon or others can help me ID the gliders captured in this image.

Regards,
                      Mike
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by W Petz; 05-02-2020, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Hi Bill,

Yes I did see that glider photo on EBay, I did not bid so do not know who won the auction.

Agree the image is not at Fort Eben-Emael, so must be a glider from Beton, Stahl, or Eisen. Perhaps someone can confirm the exact location?

Regards,

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X