Eben Emael Gliders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eben Emael Gliders

I just picked up I believe another previously unknown photo of several gliders that landed near Fortress Eben Emael. My friend Jim Pool posted some of my glider discoveries back in 2003 while I was in the middle of a move back to the US from Germany. I know quite a few members on WAF have a high interest of those historic landings Including myself. So I am posting this new photo and scanned a higher resolution of the others, also adding the link to the original discussion thread back in 2003.

EE - 1
    Attached Files

Here is the link to the original Eben Emael thread discussion

https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...ght=Eben+Emael

EE-2
    Attached Files

Comment

Ee-3
      Attached Files

Comment

Ee-4
        Attached Files

Comment

Very nice and rare pictures, Bill! I never get tired of seeing pics like these!

Best, Peter

Comment

Great pictures for sure! I share with you some taken also in Belgium and published in the Silent attack. These were taken at Vroenhoven bridge in Belgium 1940.
            Attached Files

Comment

Would you believe I never noticed that in Glider EE-3 apparently there was a guard posted at the rear tail section of the Glider.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by W Petz; 03-14-2020, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Sorry for my question, cause I don`t know much about this operation, but why these gliders don`t have any III Reich national emblems? Was it done on purpose?

Comment

Hello Kiler.... Yes it was done on purpose because of the secrecy of the operation. The use of Gliders was classified as secret so no identifiable markings were placed on them.

Originally posted by kiler View Post
                  Sorry for my question, cause I don`t know much about this operation, but why these gliders don`t have any III Reich national emblems? Was it done on purpose?
                  Last edited by W Petz; 03-15-2020, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Hi all,

found this very well made page with a lot of additional information, but sadly in German, great pictures are present

http://www.norbert-meiners.de/0008_l...hronik_02.html

Matt

Comment

Outstanding additions Bill, a window into an historic operation where so little was recorded. Excellent!
                      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Peter, John and Matt

Thank you for your kind comments. I sort of resurrected an old thread started on my behalf by my good friend Jim Pool back in 2003 on Fort Eben Emael photos of the attack on the Fort and the rare view of the gliders that were dismantled and burned within days after the battle.

I recently discovered quite by chance on Ebay a new original photo of two gliders that landed close to the Fort. This gave me the opportunity to post larger scans of rare photos on the use of gliders for the first time in Battle.

Bill

Comment

Those are superb photos Bill!

Thanks for the link Matt!

Eben Emael is a special place, and will have to visit it again. Was close in 2018, but unfortunately couldn't fit it in the schedule.
                          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi you are right it is a special place! Thanks

Julien thank you for your comment and sharing of those other photos out of Silent attack...authored by Oscar Gonzalez Lopez, Ian Tannahill, and Thomas Steinke.
                            Last edited by W Petz; 03-15-2020, 02:02 PM.

Comment

This one pop-out yesterday from a mate. I had never seen it before, seems to be the exact same location, but not same angle than the one showing EE-4 previously posted here.

Do you guys know why a storch is crashed there ?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X