• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Derby 4
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SMP View Post
      I think you will find that all the PRYM 4H snaps are nickel plated brass, whilst all the PRYM 4 snaps are steel. I therefore suspect the "H" denotes the material used.
      Very interesting! Definitely worth exploring as well. I will post mine over the weekend. In the meantime, some I have saved from prior postings.

Prym 4H, Prim 4H! Stocko and Filigree.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by WalterB; 02-13-2020, 02:31 PM.
      When you go home
      Tell them for us and say
      For your tomorrow
      We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
      Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Most STOCKOs are brass , but here is a steel one with a PRYM mechanism.
        Attached Files

Comment

Good observation, Steve, and I think steel Prym 4 made later than Prym 4H cause I've seen this marking on blue late war chinstraps where back side is no chamois but thin glossy leather. This kind of chinstrap is rare enough . I had it only one time. Unfortunately , pix missed somewhere among my files. Perhaps someone have similar to show.
          Looking for FJR2 combat pics in Russia.

Comment

Prym 4
            Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting point Steve. Will check my Prym's but they seem all covered here. Interesting the different number of dots to the sides of the 4H

Comment

Yes Prym 4 in steel is much simpler, I have that type on my 4054.

Comment

Thx a lot gents. This is avery good help for reference.

Comment

Derby 4
                    Based on leather quality I would place this Derby chinstrap to early one. Steve, can you inform what kind of material the buckle and grommets made from ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sergey K. View Post
                      Based on leather quality I would place this Derby chinstrap to early one. Steve, can you inform what kind of material the buckle and grommets made from ?

Hi Sergey,
                      It is not early. The grommets were zinc and steel. The buckle was steel.

Comment

Hi Sergey,
                        It is not early. The grommets were zinc and steel. The buckle was steel.

Hi Steve, you right, this indicates to late prod.

Comment

Hi Steve, you right, this indicates to late prod.

Hi Sergey, your previous question prompted me to think about buckles. I have had 2 M38 that had brass friction buckles. One was a DD, so I am guessing that the earliest straps used brass. Is that your view ?

Comment

I wonder if the dots , by the H , 3 or 1, has anything to do with brass content or material used also on PRYM 4H snaps ?
                            Last edited by eubank; 02-17-2020, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Hi Sergey, your previous question prompted me to think about buckles. I have had 2 M38 that had brass friction buckles. One was a DD, so I am guessing that the earliest straps used brass. Is that your view ?
                              Yes, I think they are early and were changed to steel because of soft brass which makes friction buckle not so strong especially on the places where gates holds and easily can be broken..also steel buckle is more cheaper in production.
                              I have brass buckles assembled with brass filigree and steel prim snaps . Many ground dug helmets from early war 41/42 already have steel buckles while only small numbers with brass.

Comment

Yes, I think they are early and were changed to steel because of soft brass which makes friction buckle not so strong especially on the places where gates holds and easily can be broken..also steel buckle is more cheaper in production.
                                I have brass buckles assembled with brass filigree and steel prim snaps . Many ground dug helmets from early war 41/42 already have steel buckles while only small numbers with brass.

Thanks,

Were they bare brass, or did some of them have a silver wash ?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X