This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authentic FJ Chinstrap Snaps

Maybe this has been done before....I am not sure. In any event, perhaps this thread can be constructive and educational by taking a poll based on the particular chinstrap snap manufacturer that exist in authentic FJ helmets that reside in our collections. The choices are PRYM, Filigree / Floral, Stocko, Derby and "Other".

This may give us a specific breakdown of FJ chinstrap snaps that exist in our collections. If a large enough database is created, it may reflect actual production allocations.

I would encourage collectors who own original FJ helmets to look at their chinstrap snaps and report back using the poll. Who knows, we might find something interesting?

PLEASE, only input information based on FJ chinstraps that are 100% original. If you are unsure, dont input data on that chinstrap. ALSO, if you have one that would fit in the "Other" category, please post a picture of it.

Thanks!!
    PRYM (i.e., Prym 4H)
    63.89%
    Floral / Filigree
    27.78%
    Stocko
    2.78%
    Derby (i.e., Derby 4)
    2.78%
    Other
    2.78%
    Last edited by WalterB; 02-11-2020, 02:09 PM.
    When you go home
    Tell them for us and say
    For your tomorrow
    We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
    Iwo Jima 1945

I realize now that the poll may only allow a forum member to vote one (i.e., not allow a member to vote multiple times in case the member owns more than one FJ helmet) --- that is unfortunate. Can a poll in this Forum be modified to allow a member to vote multiple times? If not, then maybe a member can post a tally of his collection and we can periodically run and post a grand total?
    When you go home
    Tell them for us and say
    For your tomorrow
    We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Good thread, Walter, we already discussed about snaps some time ago ..
      And it should be pinned because snap is one of
      the key to chinstraps authenification as well as buckle and some other details.
      I have and have seen only steel/brass made Prym4H, Stocko and felegree pattern ones..
      Looking for FJR2 combat pics in Russia.

Comment

Checked helmets and also found steel Prym 4 without H..

Comment

All of mine that still have the snaps left on are PRYM4 , this includes a thicker rim ckl 4054 in there too ( I say that as it is a later war helmet that you see often without the snap type straps)

I saw a helmet for sale years ago on a UK website that was largely original and had a snap maker Haania ( spelling is from memory) but it looked to me as though the straps had been messed with.

Comment

Thanks guys! I, too, have only seen Prym, Flower / Filgree and Stocko snaps. I was also hoping that this poll/thread could gather data from a large group of authentic helmets to see the breakdown / percentage of Prym snaps, Filigree and Stocko.

In my collection, I will have to check specifics, I think the majority are indeed Prym 4H, followed by a few Filigree and only one Stocko. I need to check and will report back.
            When you go home
            Tell them for us and say
            For your tomorrow
            We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Worth a try Walter, we'll see ! I remember there was a discussion years ago about different dots there may be in Prym helmet snaps too...but maybe that's a bit too arcane !

Comment

Poll responses can only be entered once per person. No way to change that. Perhaps the question should be "which snap maker represents the majority of your helmets?" or "which snap style have you most encountered?", or something like that.

It does appear that I am able to edit the question, in case a change is desired.
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
                  Poll responses can only be entered once per person. No way to change that. Perhaps the question would be "which snap maker represents the majority of your helmets" or "which snap style have you most encountered", or something like that.

It does appear that I am able to edit the question, in case a change is desired.
                  Yes, good idea Willi, please feel free to do so. Thanks.
                  When you go home
                  Tell them for us and say
                  For your tomorrow
                  We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

I checked last night and found an interesting breakdown in my collection among the FJ helmets with friction clip chinstraps and which still retain the snap:

Prym 4H -- 60% [Note: maybe one of them was simply "Prym 4", tough to see given the rust and wear]

Flower Filigree -- 30%

Stocko -- 10%

I am not sure if this reflects actual manufacturing output, but it does support the notion in my mind (and of others) that Prym is most common, followed by Filigree and then Stocko.
                    When you go home
                    Tell them for us and say
                    For your tomorrow
                    We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Is there a possibility to show pictures of the different types PRYM snaps then? This should be very helpful.

Thx.

Comment

Originally posted by The WarDog View Post
                        Is there a possibility to show pictures of the different types PRYM snaps then? This should be very helpful.

Thx.

This is why the thread was pinned. And this is not about only Prym. I hoped that someone will post his examples.

So I'll do. Post your snaps gents. Just for reference for some members who don't know about it.
                        Also I noticed each maker usually has his own father snap and it different to another maker.

Here is Prym 4H and PRYM
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Sergey K.; 02-13-2020, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Some Stocko
                          Attached Files

Comment

filigree/floral
                            Attached Files

Comment

I think you will find that all the PRYM 4H snaps are nickel plated brass, whilst all the PRYM 4 snaps are steel. I therefore suspect the "H" denotes the material used.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X