No announcement yet.

Studio Portrait, Italy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian Paras attached to the 4FJ do appear to favor a short zippered camo jacket you can see the zip slash upper pockets in this field but
    not so formal photo . I have seen others
    Attached Files

Comment

I believe it’s the same para in the foreground but I think his partner may be wearing the same style but it’s hard to see the details.
      Attached Files

Comment

Good contribution Dennis, thanks.
        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

I don't believe he is Italian. Smock/jacket he is wearing is Italian camo material but but the slash type pockets is something a German para would want plus the zip with leather pull tab I think is German typically found on German smocks and flight suits. also there are German uniform buttons to fasten shoulder straps. One of my main interests is italian and splinter made jackets/smocks and photos that are in my collection. I'm not an expert but I have accrued some knowledge over the years whatever that is worth.

Originally posted by Raffaello Carola View Post
          <table class="tborder" style="border-top-width: 0px;" width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="6" border="0" align="center"><tbody><tr title="Post 8642035" valign="top"><td class="alt2" width="125" align="center">Great photo! </td><td class="alt1">imho the soldier at the left side possible is italian </td></tr></tbody></table>
          Last edited by W Petz; 02-16-2020, 12:31 AM.

Comment

the italian paratrooper sometimes during RSI period used german equipments; for the left side
            soldier was italian (is only an ipothesis) During RSI period the italian uniforms cut with camo tent
            have similar zip. In this photo 2 soldiers have buckles and one without; the italian uniforms have
            buttons to fasten shoulder boards.
            Best
            Raff
            "six italians, dressed in rather unusual diving suits and equipped with materials of laughably little cost have swung the military balance of power in the Mediterranean in favour of the Axis".

Comment

I still think he is Italian. The others are wearing belts and buckles.
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I totally understand that Italian paras used German equipment and sometimes wore German jump smocks as well. I keep looking that photo over and what I see is a tailor made italian camo short jacket with German style details to fit the para wearing it and more likely that a German para would have had it made. In the other photos presented it shows loose fitting (especially around the cuffs) of Italian Camo short jackets/smocks on Italian paras. It's just my opinion based on my experience handling field made items and through photograhic evidence of that kind of style. As Raffaello stated it is only a hypothesis and we can only speculate on whether he is Italian or not. Whetehr they are wearing belts or buckles I don't believe is a factor on determining if he is Italian or nor.

Originally posted by Raffaello Carola View Post
                the italian paratrooper sometimes during RSI period used german equipments; for the left side
                soldier was italian (is only an ipothesis) During RSI period the italian uniforms cut with camo tent
                have similar zip. In this photo 2 soldiers have buckles and one without; the italian uniforms have
                buttons to fasten shoulder boards.
                Best
                Raff

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X