arived today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Dough,

Front soldiers who went home on leave sometimes received a box with material such as: Tobacco, tinned meat, tubed spread cheese, chocolate, wine or schnaps, food rationing coupon, etc.

yours
    Eric-Jan

Don't think there was a big diffenrence between the contents of a Führergeschenk and the Fronturlauberpaket.

Comment

thanks eric

Comment

Originally posted by Eric JB
        Don't think there was a big diffenrence between the contents of a Führergeschenk and the Fronturlauberpaket.
        I thought it was the same thing!?!?! I have seen around 4 different phrases for these packages...even those with "titles" i.e. Kämpfer der Infanterie....I would imagine this was a larger/better version for a veteran from the front?!

Initially I was told by a Infanterie RKT that you could only receive this once, however I have at least 3 examples where the holder did receive two!!

Also they could consist of money, champagne and perhaps anything to hand that would serve as a gift!

/Ian
        Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

and thanks ian allso

Comment

Doug,

A nice addition to your collection, many congrats
            Regards
            Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

Maybe the reason I wrote "etc" is because the contents of such a package could be very different, from the wines of Europe, champagne included, to cognac, one uboatcrewmember told me that he received goede Schiedamse Jonge Jenever in his package.
              About the differend names used for the package: I wasn't there during the war so all the info I have I got from some former Kriegsmarine men.
              War in the east wasn't the same as the war in the west, so to say before the invasion in Normandy.
              First most of the so called packages were called Fronturlauberpaket, but such a packet was also given to men who served easy in France or Denmark, were there was no fighting at all.
              Later a more common name was Führergeschenk.
              But thats only information received from first hand.

From the Soldbücher I can say: that there are entries like:
              - Fronturlauberpaket.
              - Führergeschenk.
              - a combination as I have it stamped in a Soldbuch, Fronturlauberpaket / Führergeschenk.
              And the versions mentioned by Ian.

yours
              Eric-Jan

Comment

thanks eric i have a few geshenk entrys.and frieheight is that free travel when on home leave??

Comment

Originally posted by douglynn
                  thanks eric i have a few geshenk entrys.and frieheight is that free travel when on home leave??
                  Freifahrt?

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

yes sorry that word

Comment

Yes , Freifahrt is a free travel.

Eric-Jan

Comment

I resurrected this thread becasue t was the closest to the topic I wanted to ask a question on.

I wondered if a Fronturlauberpaket was given to men returnung to the front? I read in the Jason Mark's book on the 305th Pioneer Battalion, that the last of the troops returned from leave about two weeks before the pocket closed and they received some special rations before they left. Woould this have been a "Fronturlauberpaket"? Thank you.

Comment

The "Fronturlauberpaket, Führergeschenk, Führerpaket" was given to men going on leave......on the way to the front they were given iron rations - eiserne Portion.

It could well have contained some of the same contents but food ration cards were of no use at the front.

/Ian

Comment

Comment

Individual soldiers at the front received the "Halb eisernes portion" (Half iron ration).
                              This small food package was meant for emergency purpose. It was to be kept by the soldier.
                              It was strictly forbidden to consume it without an order from the commanding officer.

The larger "Eisernes portion" was held at the Kompanie's supply unit.
                              As far as i remember they kept 2 packages for each soldier.

The German food supplies were not like the American.
                              The Germans relied on their field kitchens and gave out "fresh" made meals.
                              They used the eisernes portionen only when the field kitchens could not provide.
                              I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
                              Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
                              My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X