FlandersMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Führerhauptquartier-Kommandant Sonderausweis to a SS-Officer, 20.July 1944 connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice Ausweis and photo group, Paul... Thanks very much for sharing it with us. Is it possible for you to post scans of the letters you mentioned? I for one would like to read them.

Thanks again!
    Rob

Comment

Here are the Schmundt letters
      Attached Files

Comment

Here's a photo from the grouping showing Schmundt in the leather overcoat next to Hitler with Rolf Bergmann directly behind him.
        Attached Files

Comment

Paul-

Very nice. Thanks for posting the additional photo and letters.

Rob

Comment

Let me first say this is truely a very rare ausweiss wich you have researched pretty good as always.
            But what I don't see or maybe have overlooked is that if this ausweiss was issued at 22 july 1944 two days after the failed assasination on Hitler how do you know he was there on the 20th as you mention.
            Do you have more info on this man to know he was here on the right time and right place? (if we can it like this)
            Thanks.

Floris

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
              Let me first say this is truely a very rare ausweiss wich you have researched pretty good as always.
              But what I don't see or maybe have overlooked is that if this ausweiss was issued at 22 july 1944 two days after the failed assasination on Hitler how do you know he was there on the 20th as you mention.
              Do you have more info on this man to know he was here on the right time and right place? (if we can it like this)
              Thanks.

Floris

Hello Floris-

I agree, it is an incredibly rare Ausweis and thank you very much for your kind words and complements Researching the IDs in my collection brings me more satisfaction and enjoyment than just owning them, and it's always rewarding to share them with fellow collectors such as yourself who recognize and appreciate them as much as I do.

I went back and re-read my posts; Where exactly did I mention that Danner was at the Wolfschanze on the 20th? I honestly do not know if Danner was actually at the Wolf's Lair on 20.July 1944 - the day of Claus von Stauffenberg's infamous assassination attempt. After starting this thread and upon further researching the Ausweis I remember reading somewhere that within days following the assassination attempt new IDs were issued to all security personnel who were stationed at the FHQ. Seeing as how the date of issue on this Ausweis is 22.July 1944 it is just a theory that Danner was serving at the Wolf's Lair prior to "Valkyrie" and had a new (this) ID issued; It could be that he was brought in two days after Operation Valkyrie to help investigate and interrogate suspected accomplices. It is also quite possible that Danner was brought in to serve as a personal bodyguard to Hitler himself, as Danner was granted clearance to Sperrkreis A - the innermost portion of the Wolfschanze. Danner departed the Wolf's Lair in November of 1944 - the same time as Hitler - so this could have very well been the case(!)

Without further research I am afraid I cannot tell you when Danner arrived at the Wolf's Lair; I will leave finding that out up to the new owner as I have very little free time and 'many' IDs that are waiting to be researched.

Hopefully this clears things up for you.

Thanks!
              Rob

Comment

Hello Rob,

Thanks for your reply and trying to making things clear.
                The reason I asked it was while looking at the sales thread of this ID in post 5 you wrote the following:

"...rare ID to a SS Officer who was a member of the security service at the Führer's "Wolf's Lair" headquarters during the failed 20.July "Operation Valkyrie" assassination attempt, and who had the highest level of security clearance (Sperrkreis A) giving him access to the Führer's bunker and living quarters...."

I thought that you've had some more info upon this.
                Besides that I also think it will be a guess if he was or wasn't there at the 20 of July. Maybe in the future some more info will show up to make things clearer.
                But it is still a rare ID wich will maybe find a new home.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                  Hello Rob,

Thanks for your reply and trying to making things clear.
                  The reason I asked it was while looking at the sales thread of this ID in post 5 you wrote the following:
                  "...rare ID to a SS Officer who was a member of the security service at the Führer's "Wolf's Lair" headquarters during the failed 20.July "Operation Valkyrie" assassination attempt, and who had the highest level of security clearance (Sperrkreis A) giving him access to the Führer's bunker and living quarters...."
                  I thought that you've had some more info upon this.
                  Besides that I also think it will be a guess if he was or wasn't there at the 20 of July. Maybe in the future some more info will show up to make things clearer.

But it is still a rare ID wich will maybe find a new home.

Floris-

Ah, now I see what you are talking about, my description in the "for sale" thread for this Ausweis on the estand. I was referring to the time frame/period around the 20.July assassination attempt, however from the wording I can understand where the confusion might come from.

As a SS Officer and member of the SD there's no doubting Danner would have been at the FHQ to serve as a member of the FHQ security service. Due to the fact that the Ausweis gave him clearance and access to "Sperrkreis A" - the innermost portion of the FHQ to include Hitlers bunker and living quarters - and knowing that other personnel who were granted access to this portion of the complex were serving in a security roll to the Führer himself, I think it is safe to say that Danner was serving in the same/similar roll, or one equally as important in regards to Hitler's security or, if he arrived on 22.July, investigating the infamous 20.July assassination attempt. Considering Danner remained at the FHQ through November and departed the complex the same time as Hitler, I don't think he was brought in right after the assassination attempt to investigate the incident; If this were the case I don't think Danner would have remained for so long, but would have departed within a few days/weeks after the investigation had been carried out.

Yes, it's a very rare ID and I have very much enjoyed researching and owning it, but as you said it's time to find this one a new home

Rob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X