CollectorsGuild

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Führerhauptquartier-Kommandant Sonderausweis to a SS-Officer, 20.July 1944 connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Führerhauptquartier-Kommandant Sonderausweis to a SS-Officer, 20.July 1944 connection

Hello all,

Here’s a rather interesting ID I have in my collection which I’d like to share with you. It’s a Führerhauptquartier-Kommandant Sonderausweis to a SS-Officer and member of the Reichssicherheitsdienst, SS-Untersturmführer Johann Danner, issued at the “Wolfsschanze" on 22.July 1944, just two days after the infamous failed 20.July 1944 assassination attempt – Operation Valkyrie.

It is hand-signed by Gustav Streve who was head of security at the Wolf's Lair and features two very nice "Führerhauptquartier" circular stamps, one on the obverse, the other on the reverse.

What I find particularly interesting about this ID is that it granted SS-Untersturmführer Danner clearance to Sperrkreis A – the innermost portion of the Wolf’s Lair.

Furthermore, if you look at the reverse you will see that the Ausweis was validated through November 1944, the same month in which Hitler departed the “Wolfsschanze” for the last time.

The Ausweis:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rob Johnson; 11-18-2010, 12:30 AM.

Here’s a little info on Sperrkreis A, taken from “Hitler's personal security” by Peter Hoffmann:
    On 20.September 1943 Major-Jeneral Schmundt and NSKK-Gruppenführer Albert Bormann issued new directives aimed at increasing security and secrecy within Sperrkreis I (Restricted Zone I). A new “ Sperrkreis A” (Restricted Zone A) was created within Sperrkreis I. It included the bunkers and annexes of Keitel, of the personal adjutants, Mess number 1, and Tea house of the Führer, of Bormann and of the Führer’s Wehrmacht Adjutant’ Office, Army Personnel Office, etc. This was the basis for the new arrangement:

“The Führer ordered: The secrecy of events, intentions, conferences, etc. in his presence and near him in the Führer’s HQ must be guaranteed by all available means. The Führer has directed that persons who speak to others of secret matters about which the others do not need to be informed shall be reported to him personally for disciplinary punishment. Besides secrecy, the security of the person of the Führer is decisive in creating Restricted Zone A. The Führer’s orders force the strict measures which may bring hardship to the one or the other. The requirement of increased security and secrecy must take precedence over all personal wishes.”

Only the persons serving with Hitler directly, and those who had their offices in “Sperrkreis A” and who lived there, were now allowed in regularly. New passes were issued for persons allowed to enter the Zone regularly because the worked or lived there; additional passes could be issued by the HQ Commandant but only with permission of the Chief Wehrmacht Adjunt, Schmundt, or his deputy, and in consultation with SS-Obergruppenführer Schaub or his deputy. Day passes could be issued by the guard only after permission had been given by a personal or military adjutant of the Führer. No one was allowed to enter “Sperrkreis A” without a pass, not even in the company of a person with a pass, except in urgent cases when they could be accompanied by one of the RSD officers on duty at the gates, who alone had the authority to make such exceptions. They had to take the visitor where he was going, and either bring him back afterwards, or see to it that a pass was issued. If anyone was found alone without a pass in “Sperrkreis A” he had to be arrested or ordered out. Motor traffic in “Sperrkreis A” was restricted to cars of ‘personalities from Reich ministers, Reich leaders and Fieldmarshal up;’ these and their drivers and other accompanying persons had to have valid passes. Supply cars and those of persons with officer rank living in “Sperrkreis A” could also be brought in. All others had to be left outside. The three gates, at Keitel’s, the adjutants’ and Bormann’s buildings, were each manned by one non-commissioned officer of the Führer-Begleit-Bataillon and one RSD Officer. Passes were checked by the Army officer; the RSD officer had to assist, especially in cases of doubt. For press and teleprinter runner services, always the same soldiers had to be used, and they had to have passes. One RSD officer constantly patrolled within “Sperrkreis A.” The list of permanent lunch guests in Mess No.1, Dining-room 1, was limited to the Führer’s immediate suite in accordance with his orders. Other guests for luncheons or meals in the Teahouse could come only if asked by Schuab or Schmundt after permission or request from the Führer; applications had to be made in good time. Persons ordered to come to the Führer or to an agency in “Sperrkreis A” had to wait in Mess No.2 in Restricted Zone I and were treated as guests of the Führer.

Here are two maps of the FHQ; The first shows the various zones with Sperrkreis A in red, and a second that shows Sperrkreis A:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rob Johnson; 11-17-2010, 11:54 PM.

Comment

As mentioned above, the Ausweis is hand-signed by Gustav Streve who was head of security at the Wolf’s Lair.

http://www.bundesarchiv.de/oeffentli...dex-17.html.de

Here's a photo of Streve, photo credit: www.bundesarchiv.de
      Attached Files

Comment

And lastly, scans of some of the files contained within Danner’s SS-Personnel file at NARA (a huge thanks to John P. Moore for supplying these to me). As you can see, Danner was a member of the Reichssicherheitsdienst and served in the Geheime Feldpolizei in 1939.
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally I thought that this ID was issued to Danner upon his arrival at the FHQ on 22.July 1944, having been called in from Berlin to provide extra security at the Wolf's Lair after Operation Valkyrie went down. However, after reading the paragraphs quoted above from Hoffmann's “Hitler's personal security” I'm wondering if it could be possible that Danner was stationed at the FHQ all along, was present on 20.July 1944 and perhaps this ID was a yet another "new" ID issued right after the assassination attempt. Just a theory of course.

If anyone else has any FHQ Ausweis in their collections, please feel free to post them here.

Thanks,
            Rob
            Last edited by Rob Johnson; 11-18-2010, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Awesome ID Rob, thanks for posting, along with the other info/scans.

best
              Hank
              Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
              ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Cummings View Post
                Awesome ID Rob, thanks for posting, along with the other info/scans.

best
                Hank
                Thanks, Hank!
                Rob

Comment

Incredible ID - one of the rarest you will ever see.....

"Hundestaffel"

Comment

amazing piece of history Rob!!

Comment

woow Rob,thats a interesting id for sure

Comment

Hi Rob,

I've never collected Ausweise and I've stopped collecting SS, but if I was going to own one of these, yours would be the one - very impressive!

I think your theory bears some merit as well. I think it's possible that Danner was there prior to 20. Juli and the passes were reissued.

Thanks for sharing.
                        John

Comment

Indeed - megarare "Sperrkreis A" Sonderausweis for ex-Feldpolizei member
                          Never seen similary before...
                          I like very much this oilcloth type ID cards !

Comment

Hi guys,

It's nice to see at least few people here understand and appreciate what this is, and thanks for the complements, guys! While it isn't my best or "favorite" it's one of the better IDs I have in my collection and I am very happy to have been able to have acquired it.

Over the last several years I've become extremely conservative in regards to what I consider truly "rare" in this hobby, and I do believe this Sonderausweis qualifies.

Perhaps some other members have FHQ Ausweis they can share with us? Maybe from Führerhauptquartiere other than the Wolf's Lair?

Best,
                            Rob

Comment

That is one hell of a cool piece of history.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X