No announcement yet.

Soldbuch 12. SS Panzer Divisioin "Hitlerjugend"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is more on the activities of this unit on January 8, 1945 (from the divisional history by Meyer). The Begleitkompanie was attacking Hill 501 near Magaret, in the neighborhood of Bastogne

"The Divisionsbegleitkompanie attacked together with 2. Pionierkompanie. Its diary stated:

The Kompanie was only able to advance 400-500 meters before it was forced to a halt by overwhelming enemy fire from heavy machine guns and tanks. Enemy tanks were moving in. The Kompanie suffered some losses. The I. Zug, under the command of Untersturmfuehrer Horstmann, was sent into action as a reserve Zug by the Kompanie commander, Untersturmfuehrer Stier. Based on the situation, the Zug had to by-pass the Kompanie, swinging left, in order to support the attack on the flank. It ended up in a hollow which was dominated by strong fire from heavy machine guns and tanks, and suffered high losses. On orders from Haupsturnfuehrer Taubert, the Kompanie was to pull back unnoticed. However, since the terrain was completely open and easily observed, and since the newly fallen snow offered no chance of camouflage, the enemy spotted the move to disengage. The men crawling back came under heavy fire from sharpshooters, tank machine guns and heavy machine guns which, again, caused many losses. At approximately 11.00 hours, the Kompanie reached the village exit from Magaret again. Our own panzers had knocked out seven enemy tanks."

Comment

Hi FCG,

many thanks for taking the time with me and sheed some more light into this action.
      Next week i will meet a vet of the 12.SS Hitlerjugend. He was a radio operator and served in Normandy as well as the Ardennes. Maybe he was somewere in the near of this action, altough it is not very likely.
      Nevertheless iam sure he has an intresting story to tell. He still has all of his papers including his Soldbuch.

Many thanks again and best wishes Jens

Comment

Still have it?

Regards
        Bart

Comment

I missed this one sorry.....There is no problem with the Soldbuch.

Is this your guy?

Nachname: Plotzitzka
          Vorname: Willi
          Dienstgrad: Oberschütze
          Geburtsdatum: 04.08.1927
          Geburtsort:
          Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 08.01.1945
          Todes-/Vermisstenort:

Willi Plotzitzka ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Andilly (Frankreich). Endgrablage: Block 14 Reihe 12 Grab 900

Edit....sorry didn't see you had mentioned this...

/Ian
          Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

I agree, looks 100% original to me as well. Nice Soldbuch!

Rob

Comment

Hi,

thanks for bringing the old thread back up. Unfortunatly I do no longer own the book. But I must admit, I realy regret selling it back then

Thanks Jens

Comment

That was a book for my collection so bad that you don´t have

Regards Thomas

Comment

I never realised when I replied earlier that this thread was from June 2005
                  Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Originally posted by zbv500 View Post
                    Can anyone identify this signature and what stands behind SS-O'Stuf ? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Gotta love these! I wish I could have more of them.

Comment

Originally posted by HouweTrouwe View Post
                        Can anyone identify this signature and what stands behind SS-O'Stuf ? Thanks in advance.
                        I can not identify the sinature, but the three letters are:

L.d.V. = Leiter der Verwaltung

Best wishes,

andernach

Comment

Who is the new owner? I am collecting this company items

Comment

Originally posted by mr.dogtag View Post
                            Hi,

Sorry to say, but I think it is a fake one.
                            The photo looks to be newly stapled and the stamps are at least strange. There are no inverted commas in upper index in German writing. While they appear so on stamps in your book. There should be „Hitlerjugend” instead of "Hitlerjugend" - not to say that on your stamps the latter comas are missing. I have impression that some other things are wrong here, but I leave these to document experts on this forum.
                            One more thing I can add is that I never saw a dog tag (And I saw few of them) stamped in a way mentioned in your document. All HJ tags I have seen were Pz.Gren.Ers.u.Ausb.Btl.12 type. And as most of them have very high roll numbers I guess that they were the only ones used by the division. ( However I might be wrong- therefore if any colleagues on this forum have exaples of authentic divisional HJ tags - please share some images).
                            Hope this helps
                            Al

„Hitlerjugend" instead of "Hitlerjugend"..I had to read it 5 times until I understood. You're so in love with details but basically you're right.
                            A friend of mine say he has although found some other kind of HJ tags with letter Hitlerjugend but I cannot confirm.

And because of the details all HJ tags you have seen were Pz.Gren.Ausb.u.Ers.Btl 12..not Pz.Gren.Ers.u.Ausb.Btl.12

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X