Spange 2nd Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darrell,

Does it appear if there was ever any texture on the claws - and that is has worn off- or does it appear in person that they have always been smooth?

Spanges are something I have never really paid too much attention to, but this is a good place to learn

Greg

Comment

Hey Jim .... did you say something ???

Yeah ... it's an L/13 no problem. Good tombak piece. Appears to have been worn by some last ditch VolksSturm during the battle for Berlin

Well makes for a good story anyway.

Greg,

As far as original texture, I cant say. Looks bare like the one on Weitze's site (bottom left picture).

I got the reverse of the top left eagle from Wietze site and the L/13 maker mark on mine is down low like that example (although much clearer and not as deep), and not in the middle like George's. But mine has four separate prongs and not a single on top and bottom like this example.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by h009291; 04-19-2005, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Dear Darrell,

There are indeed two slightly different dies for L/13 spanges. That smooth look of your eagle's legs is not due to wear but supposed to be that way.

Here is a very nice example Sal Williams bought while he visited in Germany. Note that o L/13 spanges the prongs might be attached individually or, as seen on Sal's example, connected as pairs to form loops.
        Attached Files
        Cheers, Frank

Comment

Attached Files
          Cheers, Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Heukemes
            Dear Darrell,

There are indeed two slightly different dies for L/13 spanges. That smooth look of your eagle's legs is not due to wear but supposed to be that way.
            That’s what I was trying to say. It looks like Paul Meybauer Company was using two slightly different dies. But it is nothing unusual! Anyway, congratulations on your spange Darrell!

Regards
            Robert

Comment

Thanks Frank. I guess the numbers touching the bottom of the 1939 box appear to be a die flaw as well.

Appreciate everyones comments.

@Robert, no problem. I've been burned on these before, but this time I was pretty sure that the piece was ok ...

Comment

Originally posted by h009291
                Thanks Frank. I guess the numbers touching the bottom of the 1939 box appear to be a die flaw as well.

Appreciate everyones comments.

@Robert, no problem. I've been burned on these before, but this time I was pretty sure that the piece was ok ...
                Darrell,

These spanges are very tricky. I wish we could have more info about them. Somehow “Bar to the IC” always stays in the shadow of the Iron Cros…

Best regards

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by robert60446
                  Darrell,

These spanges are very tricky. I wish we could have more info about them. Somehow “Bar to the IC” always stays in the shadow of the Iron Cros…

Best regards

Robert
                  True .. but you can't help but think that the holder's of these awards were once higher ranking officers or older gentlemen in the lesser ranks assigned to guard duties or like I joked above, the Volksturm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X