Billy Kramer

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paul Küst from Berlin - producer of crosses EK2-1939 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just another listing that has Paul Küst still on it .

Douglas
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas 5 View Post
      Just another listing that has Paul Küst still on it .

Douglas

... we're still closer ...

the more so because we know that the LDO numbering system was in effect valid from March 1, 1941, and the PKZ numbering was introduced only in the second half of 1942.

Jarek
      Last edited by boch_62; 02-16-2019, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Hí Jarek
        I found these pictures on a Russian page about Paul Küst
        Attached Files

Comment

and the last
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sanya13 View Post
            Hí Jarek
            I found these pictures on a Russian page about Paul Küst
            It's good to see that someone else finds my old catalog page interesting.
            Two of those pictures are of my piece that I posted here back in 2006.

Comment

Hí Greg
              yes interesting , but than wrote ,these all pictures was on the Russian forum side
              Originally posted by gregM View Post
              It's good to see that someone else finds my old catalog page interesting.
              Two of those pictures are of my piece that I posted here back in 2006.

Comment

With high likelihood, we can conclude that the P.Kust's company produced crosses EK2-1939 (perhaps also EK1-1939).
                The company's name is on all official lists of the Reich Chancellery showing producers of EK crosses from 1939-1940.
                In addition, we have a statement from Gordon Williamson from 2003, who saw the official list of manufacturers of EK crosses approved by the PKZ, which also includes the P.Kust's company.
                We also know that the P.Kusts's company did not receive the official PKZ number, and we know that these numbers were broadcast in the second half of 1942.

It seems, therefore, that we can say with a high probability that the P.Kust's company ceased production of EK-1939 crosses (or the total activity) not later than in the first half of 1942, or even in 1941 ...

Unfortunately, we still can not recognize the EK2-1939 crosses produced by P. Kust's company.
                We have too few sets of crosses and an envelopes signed with the name Kust's. We can not draw specific conclusions from this reason ...

Regards
                Jarek

Comment

Originally posted by boch_62 View Post
                  With high likelihood, we can conclude that the P.Kust's company produced crosses EK2-1939 (perhaps also EK1-1939).
                  The company's name is on all official lists of the Reich Chancellery showing producers of EK crosses from 1939-1940.
                  In addition, we have a statement from Gordon Williamson from 2003, who saw the official list of manufacturers of EK crosses approved by the PKZ, which also includes the P.Kust's company.
                  We also know that the P.Kusts's company did not receive the official PKZ number, and we know that these numbers were broadcast in the second half of 1942.

It seems, therefore, that we can say with a high probability that the P.Kust's company ceased production of EK-1939 crosses (or the total activity) not later than in the first half of 1942, or even in 1941 ...

Unfortunately, we still can not recognize the EK2-1939 crosses produced by P. Kust's company.
                  We have too few sets of crosses and an envelopes signed with the name Kust's. We can not draw specific conclusions from this reason ...

Regards
                  Jarek

Comment

Here is my set.
                    Attached Files
                    Best regards,
                    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Your Küst envelope had a S&L EK2 in .

Douglas

Comment

Hi Trevor

By comparing both my crosses from the beginning of the thread, with your cross from the set, we can conclude that the frames are identical = type S&L design, also the cores are identical = type S&L design.

However, we also have differences in the finish - no manual freezing of the frame, the weld is visible in the place of joining a large ring ...

The question is, could such differences may have appeared in the course of production in 1939-1941 (42?) ...?

... it would be worth to compare the size and weight of my 2 crosses and your cross from this set.

Jarek
                        Attached Files

Comment

My crosses have size and weight:

1) 20,0g - 44,2x44,1mm
                          2) 18,8g - 44,2x44,1mm

Jarek

Comment

Hi Jarek - to post #27 :
                            Some of the early manufacturers started off with - hand frosting , and changed over to dip frosting to save on cost and increase production ,
                            .... so we have the same frame finished differently .

The unknown with Küst is - did they get dies from S&L to stamp their own frames/cores or did they only used individual supplied components
                            so that they could assemble the crosses themselves ?? A different cross in a Küst envelope creates more questions . Did they have more suppliers ?? -
                            Or - was a foreign EK put into the Küst envelope post war to enhance value ???
                            And yes ... have to mention in all fairness also : in the case Küst used components only -- and was short piece count wise in fulfilling an order -
                            they could have sourced a few crosses (as components or already assembled) from some other maker .

Yes ... there is a remote unprovable chance the other cross may have been originally issued with that envelope ?? It is possible but still speculation !!
                            I myself cannot see comparing weight and size to be of help or relevance - as over the duration of the war flange width and weight was gradually reduced
                            to conserve on harder and harder to get materials . All this tells us is which crosses were in sequence made first ... heavier/bigger to lighter/smaller .

Douglas

Comment

Hi Douglas

You are right in most aspects of our discussion.
                              I agree that we walk on thin ice (that is why I try to avoid far-reaching speculations), because crosses type "S&L Design" are sometimes very difficult to assign to a specific producer.
                              For us, the best solution would be to present, by several collectors, convergent sets of P. Kust's envelopes and unsigned crosses ... for comparison works
                              For now, however, we have too little comparison material.

Regards
                              Jarek

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X