BrunoMado

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paul Küst from Berlin - producer of crosses EK2-1939 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul Küst from Berlin - producer of crosses EK2-1939 ?

As we know, PAUL KUST from Berlin is widely known as a producer of military decorations, from the late nineteenth century, with the flourishing of his activities after the outbreak of World War I.
    The company "PAUL KUST ABZEICHEN ORDENFABRIK BERLIN SW19" is also known for its rich production from the 30th years of the inter-war period.
    Below is a P. Kust's advertisement from the year 1927 in "Deutschen Kriegerbundes".
    But this is not the end of activity of the Paul Kust's company, manufacturer of decorations, badges, plaques, etc ...
    Attached Files

After the outbreak of World War II, Paul Kust is presented as one of the official producers decoration of Iron Crosses 1939.
    His name appears both on the list developed by the Reich Chancellery under the reference number : Anlage zu RP.O.15119/39, file page number 122 and Anlage zu RP.O.1729/40, file page number 150.

This was confirmed by Gordon Williamson in his statement of 25 February 2003 at the WAF-forum, presenting the official list of producers of the 1939 Iron Cross, who had a contract with the Reich Chancellery (PKZ), and which he obtained while reviewing of the files "Bundesarchiv-Militararchiv" in Freiburg.
    From the analysis of the above facts, we can say with big certainty that Paul Kust was a producer of crosses EK2-1939, not specifying, how long this production took place.
    Probably the crosses were only unmarked and for this reason we are not able to recognize them until now. We can also guess that P.Kust, like many other producers, in accordance with the recommendation of the Reich Chancellery, used the "matrix of mothers" for crosses EK2-1939 provided by S & L. This is another reason causing such a big difficulty in identifying crosses EK2-1939 of this producer.
    We can assume that P.Kust never produced "own" dies for the production of EK2-1939. Perhaps, because he produced crosses EK too short time ? - but we are already entering into too serious speculations…
    In August 2018 I bought from a dealer “SCHLENDER ANTIK” set of the unsigned cross EK2-1939 with an envelope signed "Paul Kust Berlin".
    I am not a collector of envelopes and I must admit that I always have been very skeptical in the case of the EK2 cross sets with an envelope, which set would confirm the producer of this unsigned EK2 cross.
    The exception was for me, "disclosed" by several different collectors, a sets of the cross called "Variant 8" with an Assmann envelope. For me it was a great discovery and practically 100% evidence, confirming the producer of this cross.
    Attached Files

Comment

I am coming back to my case. I bought the set not because of the envelope but by the cross. Looking at his photos in the dealer's offer, I was not able to determine 100% of the cross manufacturer. So I decided to buy this set without any premonitions. I found that if it is, for example, a typical S&L, then at the most later I will sell the cross and the envelope separately, and I will not lose money financially.
      Attached Files

Comment

After receiving the parcel and watching the cross, I found that it is not a typical S & L cross, but a cross of the "S&L design" type, which has its own specific features.
        My surprise was even greater when, among my 3 unsigned and unidentified EK2-1939 crosses of the "S&L design" type, kept in a drawer, I found the second identical (!) cross, like the one received with the P. Kust's envelope.
        Honestly, I did not know what to think about it.
        Is it possible that this is Paul Kust's cross (?) or is it just a coincidence = an unidentified cross "S&L design" received with P.Kust's envelope and an identical (!) unidentified cross "S&L design" in my drawer (?)
        I am afraid that I may be biased in drawing conclusions from this incident.
        I think about this for several months and I have to share this event with someone, although I know that after publishing this story on WAF-forum, one of our colleagues will say that it is a typical S&L cross (= 4) and the other, probably that this is a variation of the W&H cross (= 109) ... maybe someone else will say something else, or maybe someone has an identical cross with an envelope signed "Paul Kust Berlin" ?
        Attached Files

Comment

Features of the cross:
          - distinctive "matte" ribbon ring (big ring), combined "on contact", without a visible weld
          - frame hand-made frozen
          - identical frame
          - identical core, with a variation of finish (matte or glossy)

I would be grateful if all members who have Küst packets would post good photos of the crosses that came with them.

Regards
          Jarek
          Attached Files

Comment

very interesting research! I hope more people will show their Paul Kust envelopes with their paired crosses!

Comment

Hí Jarek

This is a good research and very good pictures
              These the envelopes not common pieces and hard to find .

for me too have Paul Küst envelope ,but my envelope arrived separate ,without cross .
              for me too have such type cross , altough IMO this the type a W&H piece , but my cross inner core not same because a typical W&H,but the frame IMO same .
              And very good see on the frame the typical hand painting too.

When last talked with Stefan , he claimed that Paul Küst is the manufacturer the so called " LUG" variant (so is it on his side too ) ,because his found same cross in this the envelope. as we know, he it says a many things often claim
              ,but sometimes unfounded

Than known the "dealers" they love to pair things
              for better profit .

I not say that not possible this ,because IMO all possible.

Congtat my friend . ( I always like to read his writings )

Good job ,and I wait yet others members opinions too
              Attached Files
              Last edited by sanya13; 02-12-2019, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sanya13 View Post
                Hí Jarek

This is a good research and very good pictures
                These the envelopes not common pieces and hard to find .

for me too have Paul Küst envelope ,but my envelope arrived separate ,without cross .

Congtat my friend . ( I always like to read his writings )

Good job ,and I wait yet others members opinions too
                Thanks Sanya !

I am also waiting impatiently for other informations. Maybe someone has also P. Kust's envelope with a cross, we could compare what we already have ...

Jarek

Comment

I was hoping for a stormy and fruitful discussion, and here the silence ...

Regards
                  Jarek

Comment

Hí Jarek
                    I'm very sorry my friend ,but I too so always
                    lately ,because I see that only
                    when someone writes an interesting topic it found
                    Almost no one ever answer of re topic.

I've been to this many times and this very sad !

Something has changed a lot and it is not a good direction IMO

Comment

Great topic, thank you for starting it.

I have a Küst set that I will photograph this weekend.

For now here is another.
                      Attached Files
                      Best regards,
                      Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Hí Trevor
                        I think a great set and this the cross IMO a unmarked Jakob Bengel type ,what do you think about it ?
                        Best
                        Sanya
                        Originally posted by streptile View Post
                        Great topic, thank you for starting it.

I have a Küst set that I will photograph this weekend.

For now here is another.

Comment

Thanks Trevor for showing your set. Very nice.

It is a pity that the crosses from our sets are not the same, but we are patient

I would like to know until when the Paul Kust's company was functioning on the market of the decoration manufacturers. I feel inside that it is important, to determine the type and amount of possible production of EK crosses by this producer ... The list of the Reich Chancellery from 1940 (Anlage zu RP.O.1729 / 40) shows indirectly that at the beginning of 1940 P.Kust was still active .

Regards
                          Jarek
                          Last edited by boch_62; 02-15-2019, 02:38 AM.

Comment

I have an advertisement page from Paul Kust that dates from between
                            1897 and 1914. (It shows the 1897 Centanary medal but not the 1914 Ek)
                            I believe at that time, they did not make Eks but did make commemorative
                            type medals and miniatures and also assembled medal bars using customer
                            supplied medals.

Comment

....but we are patient

WR Kirill

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X