Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tom hansen
    Okay- Thanks-

I can understand what you are saying about differences in carbon. I will send a note to Warren at ISU for further clarification as well. Thanks
    Tom,

all you would need is the percentage of carbon of each cross. Marc got this during his tests, unfortunately I didn't get it either!

Dietrich
    B&D PUBLISHING
    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Dietrich,
      Compare the paint pigments (grains) of rounders with other proven crosses paint (for example those WW1 Godet and WW2 Junckers).

You said that rounders paint is propably even smoother, this may or may not be one aspect towards defining rounder as a fake/real.

Grains of paint should be more non-uniform and come in different size and shape in those 60 year old pieces than more modern paint.

Propably this paint comparing doesn't lead anywhere because there are "only" couple of tens years between, but it is worth to check.

This is one aspect when checking art forgeries.

More about the paint later,

L

Comment

Dietrich,

I have been following these threads with great interest and I notice the main area that is being concentrated on is the chemical make-up of the paint used in the cores of these crosses.

Can I make a suggestion and say that another area that has not been touched upon is the solder used to join the frame halves. Would it be worth examining this and testing it for its chemical make-up and seeing if there is a major difference between known pre-45 crosses of all types and the Rounders?

Other than this, I can add no real constructive help.
        Keep up the good work,

Regards,
        Brett
        Last edited by Sonderkommando; 03-28-2005, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Brett,

The problem is getting to the solder as in most RKs it will be covered by silver. I tested a cross solder where there was enough wear to reveal the solder layer and it was mostly lead, with tin.

Marc

Comment

Marc,

It is a shame it is so hard to get to as I was thinking along the lines of the lead/tin ratio maybe being a different percentage compared to modern solder.

Regards,

Brett

Comment

Larry,

here is the greatest magnification I can photograph. The structure itself (grainy) is the same but the Rounder seems to be finer or having more particles.

Dietrich
              Attached Files
              B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Here is what Warren from ISU emailed me regarding the paint-

They are partly right but also quite wrong. Here are my several replies.

If I was comparing two samples and one reported 1.4% Ba and the other 2.7%,
                I would temper my conclusions. Hoiwever, even a two-fold difference like
                that will be hard to ignore due to differences in C levels. A 10-fold
                increase indicates something markedly different. I cannot imagine that
                including the C would put those levels into the same ballpark.

We have difficulty measuring carbon directly because it is such a light
                element. We can see it with our detector, but the corrections for
                absorption effects are severe and we are not very confident of the numbers.
                We usually leave out the C, when we can, and compare the other elements one
                with another. For example, if the Ba/Si ratio is markedly different between
                two samples, then I would confidently say the samples are different. We
                also have the spectra available and can overlay two different samples and
                show the gross difference in Ba/C ratios without correcting for matrix
                effects.

I would beware of surface condition differences between samples. If one is
                pristine and the other has been carried around for some time, we would see
                a difference. A pristine sample might have a thin layer of organic covering
                most of the filler particles. There would probably be a few high spots
                poking through, but a thin carbon layer would cover most particles. Since
                EDS only penetrates a couple of microns (0.001 mm) into the surface, we
                would not see much of the filler particles but just the organic binder.
                However, after some use (or a light scraping) we would see filler and
                pigment particles exposed on the surface. If there is a big difference in
                particle size, we would see signals from the small particles first followed
                by more signal from the big particles as more of them get more exposed.

I think we established last time that not all producers used the same
                pigment. That is unfortunate because until we can say that we have a
                fingerprint for all the valid pigments, we cannot rule out a pigment as a
                counterfeit just because there is some difference. We would have to rely on
                some other inconsistency.

Warren

Comment

Tom,

I must say it is very nice of Warren to continue to be interrested in our hobby! He has been very nice in helping me as well.
                  Marc

Comment

Originally posted by tom hansen
                    ... However, even a two-fold difference like
                    that will be hard to ignore due to differences in C levels. A 10-fold
                    increase indicates something markedly different. I cannot imagine that
                    including the C would put those levels into the same ballpark.
                    Warren
                    Tom,

that's exactly what I said.

"And I'm not saying that the Rounder or any other cross has such a high or low percentage of C, all I was saying is that one cannot compare the table numbers directly and that by making them comaprable the ratio will most likely drop"

and

"And, again, I clearly pointed out in the beginning of my thread that the paint is different. I'm sorry if I left out something that would lead people to wrong conclusions..."

However, the most telling statement from Warren is this:

"I think we established last time that not all producers used the same
                    pigment. That is unfortunate because until we can say that we have a
                    fingerprint for all the valid pigments, we cannot rule out a pigment as a
                    counterfeit just because there is some difference. We would have to rely on some other inconsistency."

This is what I was saying all along. The paint is different, yes. But is it 'fake' because it's just not like 7-8 other examples? No! Or at least not as long as we have a lot more samples!

Thanks Warren for this clarification! Much appreciated!

Dietrich
                    B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Thanks Dietrich,

As I suspected, nothing really conclusive can be said regarding the paint.
                      Rounder manufacturing date could be anything between circa. 1940-1980.

Also, Tom Hansen's post from Mr. Warren seemed to answer paint issue quite well. It currently doesn't lead us any further without more studies.

But, for example 1813 versions of Iron crosses can be authenticated by their paint .

L

Originally posted by Dietrich
                      Larry,

here is the greatest magnification I can photograph. The structure itself (grainy) is the same but the Rounder seems to be finer or having more particles.

Dietrich

Comment

I'm happy that atleast one direction is cut out, so the emphasis can be directed elsewhere.

Ps. Maybe I should try and locate a SEM in Finland and test my 1813ek2..
                        Antti

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S
                          1.11.1941 (Nov. 11 '41) manufacture of RKs for private purchase ended.

Feldgrau.com: RKs awarded to 1.11.1941 = 1,027 out of 7,116. 14% of all RKs awarded up to this time.

8 manufacturers (SL, KQ, Godet, Juncker, Deschler, Zimmerman, Schickle, Rounder) produced 14% of all RKs. Assume even distribution and 1.75% by 'Rounder'.

Even distribution 125 of all awarded RKs ended up with Rounders by 1.11.1941.
                          You're looking for vet family Rounders.

1 in 57 at most would be Rounders from the total pool of vet pieces.

Not being heavy handed but can anyone argue S&L and Juncker made the lion's share of crosses. Given that I'd guess, now it's an educated guess, at most 1 in 75.

Comment

Dietrich-

Sorry, I was not disputing your assertion that the paints are different. Just the side issue is the comparison of trace elements between different crosses was confusing. I can see you point regarding the carbon content and felt as though Warren would be able to provide further information that would clarify the issue as well. I do not know crap about that stuff and am relying upon the information which has been transmitted to me, so it is good to hear the views of someone who does this everyday and is an expert in the filed.

As Warren has pointed out, the SEM can tell differences in paint reliably. The rounder clearly has different paint than every other RK tested. When there are differences, it is up to us to find out and discuss potential reasons as to why they are different. This is the whole reason for Marc's impetus to use IR spec. Perhaps that will show further information and differences.

Larry- I think the assertion that nothing can be concluded about the paint via SEM is not correct. The paints are different and Warren has pointed out that the differences in trace elements are valid and substantiates that the paints are different. The question is- what does that mean?
                            Last edited by tom hansen; 03-28-2005, 05:59 PM.

Comment

From the first dates the SEM results came out, there was never any dispute as to whether the paint is different or not. It cleary is. And so is the Lazy 2 paint, the Godet paint and most likely a lot of other not yet tested.

I'm glad that we finally can all agree on this!

Dietrich
                              Last edited by Dietrich; 03-28-2005, 06:24 PM.
                              B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Here is a further note from Warren regarding the paint

Thanks Warren!
                                >
                                > So basically what you are saying then is
                                >
                                >1. The differences, both qualitatively and quanitatively, with regard to
                                >trace
                                >elements are real and can be compared between crosses as valid differences

14% is far beyond a trace amount. I would put the limit at 1% or less.
                                I think the differences are valid between crosses analyzed the same way in
                                the same lab. It is more difficult to compare crosses analyzed in different
                                labs by different operators. I would be more confident if both operators
                                are very competent. Unfortunately, it is very easy to get numbers out of
                                these x-ray analyzers. Some of the results are even worth some attention. I
                                would probably judge 4% and 8% to be significantly different if analyses
                                were done the same way in the same lab. I would give some benefit of the
                                doubt to such differences in analyses if they were performed in different
                                labs.

>2. The differences in carbon, while very possible, would not be enough to
                                >impact comparison between the crosses

Not at these levels of differences.

>3. Differences in paint per se cannot determine whether an item is fake, but
                                >simply provide measurements in elemental composition between known originals
                                >and the item in question.

Yes, but there were so many types of known originals in your case. It makes
                                it harder to rule out fakes as opposed to a case where there is one tight
                                standard for all. If a sample differed from that standard, we would not
                                also have to compare it to a number of other standards before ruling it a
                                fake.

> Is that correct? Would not the marked differences then in the paint
                                > noted be
                                >an indication that something is amiss?

Yes, yes. We are seeing some marked differences between samples that need
                                to be explained somehow. The best way is probably to label the different
                                one as a forgery. I would put the burden of proof on them to show that
                                similar composition exists in a piece known to be authentic.

>Thanks!- Tom H

You're welcome. If there are some particular entries on the web log or by
                                e-mail that challenge my results, I would be interested in reviewing them
                                and perhaps responding directly.

Warren

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X