Start Price is: 65.000 Euro - 76.000 US $

Klessheim piece.

Comment

Hi,

good spotting frankandfrank !

Pictures courtesy of Hermann Historica.

See You

Vince

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hermann Historica Auction 75r
      German Historical Collectibles from 1919 onwards
      80335 München, Linprunstraße 16
      Auction on Thursday, November 16, 2017 from 10:00

pos.no.: 7309
      A Grand Cross of the Iron Cross 1939
      Starting price 65.000 EUR

Blackened iron core in a silver frame, maker's mark "L/12" for Juncker and "800" mark of fineness stamped next to the eyelet. Suspension ring with slightly convex ends and "800" fineness mark. Dimensions 63.5 x 71.5 mm, weight 55.5 g. With a 55 mm wide new ribbon section about 48 cm in length. The Grand Cross class of the Iron Cross was introduced by Hitler already on 1 September 1939, and was only to be awarded by himself. In fact, the sole and only bestowal of this award, on 19 July 1940, was to Hermann Göring, who was promoted Reich Marshal at the same time. Sole manufacturer of the Grand Cross was the Berlin firm C.E. Juncker, which even produced some pieces with a gold frame according to the original directive of 1 September 1939. However, this version was rejected by Hitler. In the end, several examples with silver frame were produced and given not only to the presidential chancellery, but also to public exhibitions such as "Unser Heer" (Our Army) as well as to army museums. The piece offered here was found in 1945 by U.S. forces in Klessheim Castle where the presidential administration resided during the last days of war. Also captured there was a special class issue of a Grand Cross Star of the Iron Cross (similar to the "Blücherstern"), which today can be seen in the collection of the United States Military Acadamy at West Point, which also is in possession of Göring's personal Grand Cross and his marshal's baton. USA-lot Condition:I - II
      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Any idea how many of this kind of cased GC set existed?
            So far I know of one in Europe while another one's present location unknown. So only 2 to me.
            Of course, hope to get one one day.
            Attached Files

Comment

Well, JC has sold his. I wonder which German auction house it was 'recently acquired' from?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X