Grand Cross on dealers update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grand Cross on dealers update

Jamie Cross has just listed a Grand Cross of the Iron Cross on his update, but what is it exactly? Postwar Souval or something more recent?

Looks like a cast copy to me

Andy

Comment

Interesting, do you have a link to this piece?

Thanks

Matt

Comment

Yes

I agree with Andy -

BR
        Nicolai

Comment

http://www.thirdreichmedals.com/pictures/p89.html

Comment

Looking at it again I think you may be right. I hadn't thought about it being a cast copy. Whatever it is I bet it sold fast.

Comment

To be fair to jamie. He did not try to decieve did he?
              (P89) A Solid made Grand Cross of the Iron Cross as awarded to Hermann Goring. The cross has a silver hallmark under the eyering for 800 and has been reasonably finished off. Recently acquired from a German auction house that stated that the cross was an ex-museum display, I am more inclined to think that it is a shop window display item. Size etc corresponds to the original. An ideal space filler.This is complete with a piece of original ribbon that has been glued . The ribbon measures 55mm wide by 25 cm long GBP £300.00 (UK Pounds)

Comment

Whatever it is, I don't think it is a Souval.

Comment

Originally posted by reichenberg View Post
                  Jamie Cross has just listed a Grand Cross of the Iron Cross on his update, but what is it exactly? Postwar Souval or something more recent?
                  It's not a 3-piece made Souval cross.

Regards,
                  Alex

Comment

Hi,

the price (300 GBP) is a clear proof that it is implied that this is a reproduction...
                    Not counting the fact that only one Grand Cross was of course made at the time for Göring.

See You

Vince
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

pictures for the WAF archives.

See You

Vince
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchVolunteer View Post
                        Hi,

the price (300 GBP) is a clear proof that it is implied that this is a reproduction...
                        Not counting the fact that only one Grand Cross was of course made at the time for Göring.

See You

Vince
                        It was never going to be an original, and I think even early postwar Souval copies now sell for rather more than £300?

Comment

Originally posted by reichenberg View Post
                          It was never going to be an original, and I think even early postwar Souval copies now sell for rather more than £300?
                          Even later made Souval GK's will sell for about twice that amount. JC offered a Souval made Grand Cross last year with a modern piece of ribbon for 500£. It sold very fast...
                          Last edited by Alex W.; 10-04-2017, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Hi,

two more links about the Grand Cross, as at least two or three may have been in the possession of US collectors (no direct confirmation that they are linked to Göring) :

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6120

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...&threadid=9889

- Paul Kabala > Virginia's collector > "salvaged" and sold to an unknown collector
                            - Wolfe & Hardin (Kabala model ?)
                            - WCStump

See You

Vince

Comment

This is a very typical case of "dealer speak" by not describing the item as it is. Not a original TR produced cross. The buyer has to figure it out on his own. Our shared hobby is the only one that puts the blame on the buyer when they purchase a bad item. Dealers such as this live comfortably because due to this. Make not mistake, they know what they are doing and its criminal.

Chet
                              Zinc stinks!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X