Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who received BOTH the PLM and the RK?

Hello Gents,

Now that I am the happy custodian of a Godet PLM, I'm attempting to determine the contact marks on it. No doubt from contact with..........another neck order?

I've noticed various photos of Generalfeldmarschall Robert Ritter von Greim, and his PLM is sat upon by his RK. While I'm formulating my ideas as to the source of the contact marks, would members have data as to how many recipients of the RK, also wore the PLM? I'd love to know the "who" and "how many", please.

Cheers,

Bill

Rommel and Göring come to mind immediately. Von Bock, Kuno-Hans von Both, Ernst Busch, Siegfried Haenicke and this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templa...ight%27s_Cross

Don

Comment

Originally posted by sam steele View Post
      Hello Gents,

Now that I am the happy custodian of a Godet PLM, I'm attempting to determine the contact marks on it. No doubt from contact with..........another neck order?

I've noticed various photos of Generalfeldmarschall Robert Ritter von Greim, and his PLM is sat upon by his RK. While I'm formulating my ideas as to the source of the contact marks, would members have data as to how many recipients of the RK, also wore the PLM? I'd love to know the "who" and "how many", please.

Cheers,

Bill
      Those contact marks are very distinct, easily identifiable in a photo IMO. Congratulations on that PLM.

Comment

Thank you, Don and Bilzo.

Yes Don, I came across that site you supplied, just as your note came in. Out of those 17, five could be discounted as possible connections. And that's just for the RK. Then there's the KvK! One step at a time.

My PLM from blind pew is indeed a beauty. I was always only interested in "been there" medals, as compared to mint, unissued pieces.

Let the hunt begin.

Cheers,

Bill

Comment

anoter is

General Major Otto v.Lancelle.

At one time I had a list like that bookmarked or printed someplace will see if I can find it some place

Comment

Ferdinand Schröner was another.

Have picture of your PlM?

Comment

Ernst Udet

Ernst Udet
              Bruno Loerzer
              Alfred Keller

A few more
              Last edited by tystgaard; 07-18-2017, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Could it be another neck medal?

Comment

Thank you Gents,

I can't download blind pew's pics, so if you went to "PLM marked 935" in the sale section, you'll see the scans. When I receive the PLM in the next few days, I'll take my own pics.

Judging from the location of the contact marks, this PLM would have been worn under another order of a Cross shape. Judging from the bangs, he was certainly no desk jockey.....Most likely a field officer during WWII. That's my theory, thus far.

Cheers,

Bill

Comment

One real benefit of a gilded silver piece is that you have a better chance of distinguishing between die wear (could have intact gilding) and "wear wear," with the gilding lost due to contact. If you can get a look with a microscope--friendly local eye doctor, perhaps, if you don't immediately have a scope at hand?--you may be able to spot micro-abrasions with circular pattern, too. Congrats on a very special acquisition--definitely jealous!

Jim

Comment

Wedding ring perhaps.....? Not quite as romantic...
                      Check for Libyan sand dust- grains in ribbon....you never know..

Comment

Thank you Gents.

Jim, I bought a Lumagny 30 power lighted magnifier many years ago at a garage sale....and it's worth its weight in gold. I'll check for wear highlights on the gilt, and any distinctive patterns in the metal itself.

Praubal.........Funny that you should mention wedding rings, as I have my dad's (a WWII vet), and my grand-dad's (a WWI vet). I was briefly toying with the idea of bidding on Hermann Goring's wedding ring in the latest Thies auction.....but decided not to. This PLM came with no ribbon, but I'll be on the look-out for a nice period piece in the future.

Cheers,

Bill
                        Last edited by sam steele; 07-18-2017, 02:38 PM.

Comment

von Kircheim.

Comment

Congrats on such a splendid PLM that displays definitive wear Perhaps the right photo exist out there somewhere to help pinpoint the original owner..... here is Blind Pew's image......I hope he does not mind. Best of luck!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Erickn View Post
                              Congrats on such a splendid PLM that displays definitive wear
                              You can distinguish between "Definitive Wear" and mishandling by who knows who or when???

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X