my first DKiG comments please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my first DKiG comments please

Picked up my first DKiG and would like to hear some feedback on it please.

The silver plate behind the swazzy is missing most of the silver finish. No issues with the enameled swazzy. Catch, Hinge and Pin look right to me. Maker is 134 on the reverse. Swazzy is held in place with 4 domed hollow rivets.

I feel good about this one so I pulled the trigger and I have it in my possession. I would like to know if this is the light weight I hear about at times and who the maker is.

Thanks in advance, Rob.
    Attached Files

3, 4
    Attached Files

Comment

5, 6
      Attached Files

Comment

7, 8
        Attached Files

Comment

9, 10
          Attached Files

Comment

last pics. I tried to get a close up of the date 1941 but this is the best I could get, sorry.

Can you tell a light weight from a heavy weight just by looking at the DKiG without holding it (them) in your hand? How?

Thanks again for all the input.
            Attached Files

Comment

Looks original but it have been cleaned IMO regarding the strange finish around the swastika

Andy

Comment

I do agree with the cleaning remark. The person I received the cross from brought that to my attention right away as we were talking about the cross.

Comment

I think you got the light version, as if I remember correctly, then the heavy version did not use the plate under the pin and cahtch.

Best regards
                  Flemming

PS I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time

Comment

Thanks Flemming. I had no idea how to tell the difference between the two versions.

Hope more will chime in.

Comment

Hi Rob,

Far from an expert on these but I agree with Flemming. My "134" (made by Klein in Hanau) DKiG is identical to yours and its a light one. I dont think Klein ever made heavy ones because they only produced them late using cupal (aluminum with a paper thin copper layer on both sides and then silver finished) front & back plates instead of tombac which is heavier

If I remember correctly Klein only produced gold German crosses and used parts supplied by Zimmerman (Maker marked "20" on the pin) who, unlike Klein, did produce a "heavy version" (thus the need to differentiate between "heavy" & light" to ID "20" marked pieces). Both "134" and "20" type pieces use identical parts however you do find "20" light crosses in silver.

When I got mine 40 years ago the "134" DKiGs were considered questionable

Hope this helps a bit

JC

Comment

Yes Jean-Claude you've given me the information I was looking for. I hope that the 134 (KLEIN) DKiG is not a questionable piece any more.

Comment

Originally posted by RKarum View Post
                          Yes Jean-Claude you've given me the information I was looking for. I hope that the 134 (KLEIN) DKiG is not a questionable piece any more.
                          Way back when (before the advent of forums & good reference books) you were playing russian roulette with a lot of this stuff. I really trusted the dealer I bought it from but only found out for sure my 134 DKiG was good when I returned to the hobby a few years ago after a 30 year or so break and joined the forum

Regards

JC

Comment

Has This German cross the typical flaw at 11 o' clock position on starburst? I find the cross not convincing..

Comment

I think the cross is fine but heavily cleaned. Here is my Otto Klein for comparison:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X