Unmarked EK2 with interesting ring attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure looks original to me...
    I think it's just a little seen variant.
    Perhaps this was a one-off at the factory when they messed up a frame or ring.

The filing of this area is just as old as the filing to the other parts of the frame.

-Brian

Comment

Also go a uncommon variant .
      I cannot see it as being a repair . Use the old jump ring or a new one .... no need to dig out part of the frame to do a repair .

Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas 5 View Post
        Also go a uncommon variant .
        I cannot see it as being a repair . Use the old jump ring or a new one .... no need to dig out part of the frame to do a repair .

Douglas
        Hi Douglas,
        You know of course that the normal practice during the war, was to send the damaged decorations and medals by the soldiers to repair. These distinctions are not always their way to the manufacturer, who produces it. For this reason, certain repairs of the war lookin strange, as in the present cross.
        I thought about this situation.
        Cross is the original, but I think a little rings repaired, probably in war-time.

Jarek

Comment

Well .. the only repair - if it was one - would have be to repair the jump ring - broke or came off .
          The soldier wore it on the day of issue/presentation , then replaced it with the strip of ribbon .
          If the person actually had this small piece ... it would have been used again . If he had - I would say yes . If he did not - a new but proper size ring piece would have been used .
          When looking at it appears to me to be more a - do it yourself job -? Wanting a smaller ring ?

Douglas

Comment

I do not know whether we understand both - if the soldier had torn off a small ring would not be a problem. But most likely he did not.

Repair is a professional, so that probably made by an expert (another manufacturer?). The other manufacturer had a small ring but with a different diameter, so that the thickness of the frame he adapted to the diameter of the ring.

Jarek

Comment

I disagree with this being a profession repair .
              These rings are wrapped and cut from a long coil of wire as shown in the Deschler book page 84/85 . The wire being wrapped around 2 'guides' makes the consistant size rings every time .
              Quick and simple without pain stakenly having to gauge out one frame half .
              I lean more twords a home made job .... lets say like done on an U-Boot waiting for the next British supply convoy to pass by ?
              If you do not have access to the proper new material - then you are forced to use the 'old' ring some how .

Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas 5 View Post
                I disagree with this being a profession repair .
                These rings are wrapped and cut from a long coil of wire as shown in the Deschler book page 84/85 . The wire being wrapped around 2 'guides' makes the consistant size rings every time .
                Quick and simple without pain stakenly having to gauge out one frame half .
                I lean more twords a home made job .... lets say like done on an U-Boot waiting for the next British supply convoy to pass by ?
                If you do not have access to the proper new material - then you are forced to use the 'old' ring some how .

Douglas
                Douglas sorry, but at this point I do not understand what you mean?
                Do you think this is a variant of the cross (with which I absolutely disagree !) or repair of the rupture of a small ring ???
                If you think that it was a repair, we agree.
                And if the repair was done at home or in another manufacturer, it's a matter of little importance ...
                I'm not going to convince you of anything, I just expressed my opinion.

Jarek

Comment

All I am saying it is a repair and not a variant . ... and we agree on that .
                  Yes 2 opinions :
                  You think it is a professional repair .
                  I think it is not a professional manufacturer repair but a private repair/jewler ?

Cheers, Douglas

Comment

Comment

IMO this is a individual repair type

Comment

It could be repaired it could be original... I don't know how you could ever tell. Just because it doesn't fit the mold doesn't mean it's been repaired, doesn't mean it hasn't.

Has this cross been repaired?

-Brian

Comment

Originally posted by BROBS View Post
                          It could be repaired it could be original... I don't know how you could ever tell. Just because it doesn't fit the mold doesn't mean it's been repaired, doesn't mean it hasn't.

Has this cross been repaired?

-Brian
                          This cross is a copy - post war, no repaired

Jarek

Comment

Ok I was sent this photo as an original example I don't know about 1813 crosses.
                            However there are ek2 with this style ring attachment.

-Brian

Comment

By the way I do appreciate everyone's responses and opinions! I am not saying that it wasn't repaired this could very well be the case. I am starting to lean that way as well. However, I feel this type of variation shouldn't be discounted as a possibility... as there is really no way to know for sure.

-Brian

Comment

Originally posted by boch_62 View Post
                                This cross is a copy - post war, no repaired :glasses
                                Yes, it's a "copy" -- an 1813 Prinzengröße made about 1830. A "copy' but not a fake.
                                Best regards,
                                Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X