EKII spange on estand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EKII spange on estand

I would like to discuss this spange that is being offered on e-stand http://184.172.36.50/forums/showthread.php?t=779212.

I agree that it looks like an S&L, but the 800 stamp I have not seen before and the patina is too even, plus the prongs are bigger than normal.

Has the silver content been verified? Is there any province for this piece?

If it is proven to be silver I would love to have it in my collection, but until recently there has only been one spange to exist marked 800 and that is a Deumer.

Jim

Hi Jim have a look at this:

http://www.emedals.com/highlighted-o...14040?vmcchk=1

Comment

spange

Yes I have and have questions about that one. Jim
      Last edited by CMSgt; 01-06-2015, 08:35 AM.

Comment

My questions would be why make fakes in silver? And why are the market not flooded with this pieces if they are not genuin/postwar?
        I know there has been another question about private custom made purchases
        maybe from the real manufacturer like the EK1 Spange L/52 900 marked?

Comment

Question

The question is are they really silver or did someone just mark them that way just to increase the price. The one for sale on e-stand has a mark that I have not seen on any piece of German silver. Jim

Comment

Originally posted by beuwulf View Post
            My questions would be why make fakes in silver? And why are the market not flooded with this pieces if they are not genuin/postwar?
            I know there has been another question about private custom made purchases
            maybe from the real manufacturer like the EK1 Spange L/52 900 marked?

Silver is soft an easy to work with....

What I don't understand is why anyone would have had a "copy" made by a silversmith or jeweller when they were available if you wanted to buy an additional one.
            (Or get a replacement piece if it got lost)

That really makes no sense to me.

Not all copies pop up in great numbers either, they are sold mainly on militaria-shows......
            And not every collector uses the internet

I think I missed the L/52 900 clasp??
            Is it on WAF??

Comment

Originally posted by CMSgt View Post
              I would like to discuss this spange that is being offered on e-stand http://184.172.36.50/forums/showthread.php?t=779212.

I agree that it looks like an S&L, but the 800 stamp I have not seen before and the patina is too even, plus the prongs are bigger than normal.

Has the silver content been verified? Is there any province for this piece?

If it is proven to be silver I would love to have it in my collection, but until recently there has only been one spange to exist marked 800 and that is a Deumer.

Jim

Same thoughts here...
              VERY even patina, worn down obverse and very thick prongs.
              Never seen such an 800 mark on an original badge before.

MAYBE original, but one with a lot of questions....

You know I'm not a "strictly textbook" collector, but I'm not to keen on this one or the one from eMedals.

Comment

ben, have a look at this thread

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=268908

Comment

Thanks for the link Chris.

Without iron clad provenance I wouldn't buy that one either.

Where are all other L/52 made clasps?
                  Missed this one, but NEVER seen another example.
                  Since it comes from a die I would expect more to pop up....

Comment

spange

Chris

Here is a die that was recovered from the Zimmermann factory (so I was told), if you compare it to the example in your link you will see a lot of differences. All these links do not establish that the spange that started this conversation is original. It should be tested prior to selling. I have an EKI stamped 800 and the silver is only a layer, underneath is metal. Jim
                    Attached Files

Comment

both those EK2 clasps look cast, make of that what you will. Cast wartime? cast last week?
                      but
                      IMO the L/52 EK1 clasp is authentic, and have since apologized to AndyK
                      I was a drunk fool in 2008
                      Although I have not had it 'in hand' (much as I would LOVE to!)
                      regards
                      jon

Comment

also Jim
                        that Zimmerman EK2, I believe is also authentic (not a die, but stamped and unfinished piece)
                        regards
                        jon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X