• Show
Clear All

nice cross Robert
    and very nice sharp on the mark
    Originally posted by Robert P. View Post
    Here she is, Ken...

Robert

Comment

Thanks Robert. Seems they went out of there way to carefully mark the Crosses that turned out really well, or did a little extra work on, which can be clearly seen at the center on your example. Another interesting observation is their choice between two "interesting" numbers: one being a "Lucky 7" and the other "L/13". Maybe they put a "hex" on those L/13s, who knows. Here's a closer look at the marking on mine for comparison.

--Ken
      Attached Files

Comment

That's a perfect 'L/13' mark.

Robert

One of mine...not so good.
        Attached Files

Comment

...but nicely centered on yours Robert. Betcha the "date" is too....

--Ken

Comment

I've always liked this cross, the aged look to the core...

Robert
            Attached Files

Comment

Interesting L/13 Robert. Has the earlier "mummy" frame. Date is centered too. You know, you might not be able to timeline them down to the "date of issue", but you can almost put them side to side, and figure out which one came before, or afterwards (ie. date "style", hardware, frame "style", maker marks and paint). Early L/13 (Coke-bottle) Robert, IMO.

--Ken
              Last edited by Panzercracker; 05-06-2014, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Here's a real 'transition' Meybauer, Type A pin with the micro 'L/13' stamp...

I owned this cross many, many years ago, and cannot find an obverse view of it anywhere.

Robert
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Robert. There is one other example, with the micro mark, on a "type-1" pin, that I've seen on the WAF, but in poorer condition. It also shares the same 1st pattern core, with the "elongated" 1 on the date. Both Crosses appear to be the same as their unmarked brethren, with the exception of the micro L/13 stamp. I counted 3 (micro stamp), with the "type-2" pin and 2nd pattern core. There is one "double marked" one here, plus another example (in Very Fine), that recently sold on "Great" (both "mummy" framed). Counted just one example (mummy frame), with an "EK2 L/13 halfmoon" stamp, on a type 2 pin. Not many screwbacks around, with a 1st pattern core...

--Ken
                  Last edited by Panzercracker; 05-06-2014, 08:11 PM.

Comment

I need to do a search in our archives and try and find the obverse of the micro mark cross above. It had the same core and frame as this early unmarked example I currently own...

Robert
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here it is Robert. NM!

--Ken
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Panzercracker View Post
                        Here it is Robert. NM!

--Ken
                        Very strange looking "1939"

Comment

The "1" looks like it's leaning down to the left at it's base, but could also be lighting playing tricks. Distortions occur more frequently when shots are taken under artficial light too, so maybe Robert can explain.

--Ken

Comment

Here it is Robert. NM!

--Ken
                            That's it! That's my cross. Where did you find it?

Robert

Comment

The "1" looks like it's leaning down to the left at it's base, but could also be lighting playing tricks. Distortions occur more frequently when shots are taken under artficial light too, so maybe Robert can explain.

--Ken
                              Everything is just as you see it in the photo, no distortion. I'd give anything to get this cross back now.

Robert

Comment

This Meybauer-cored '23' EKII has a similar core to the EKI, but as you can see the date is a little different. Meybauer had more cores that we realize.

Robert
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X