No announcement yet.

Knight's Cross made of alpaca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It often happens that the frames get sparated especially after so long time in ground, the Knight's Cross was in ground since 1945, probably it was threw out from some panzer vehicle in wooden box, because all badges and crosses were mixed with wooden box parts. It was located in 20 meters from road with other badges and tank parts.

Originally posted by Laurence Strong
    Hi Blaz
    Thank you for that clarification

Comment

I hope these are not the fruits of interfering with war graves, it seems a lot of high grade awards to be found in 'one box' by the roadside!

Comment

Tim Calvert has the nicest 3/4 I've ever seen

Pics on this thread...

http://69.57.156.87/~admin1/forums/s...ight=tim+major

Roy

Comment

I agree Roy!!!

Now, a general question....what breaks down faster (let's say in dirt subject to seasonal changes) lead based solder or iron??
          Regards,
          Dave

Comment

I'd vote for the lead-based solder, given the expected temperature variations.

But only Dietrich knows for sure

R

Comment

Stories stories stories... I swear...

Comment

Brian

I wasn't clear....I meant AFTER 60 years that is!
                Regards,
                Dave

Comment

Lead would be the last thing to degrade. A box of awards my ass. .
                  Last edited by Brian S; 11-17-2004, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Perhaps Blaz you could elaborate a little on what restoration (if any) has taken place on this 3/4 eye since it was dug from the ground.

I've lost more paint from the front of my house over TWO English winters, than this cross has in 60 years of burial.

Marshall

Comment

Now fellas...I spent many hours with Dietrich and learned a great deal about NOT being premature in judgement but I too would like to know the type of paint used on the RK....I could make a fortune! Not even Bob Villa or Sears know about this stuff....
                      Regards,
                      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S
                        Lead would be the last thing to degrade.
                        IMO a frame split would be the first to appear.

R

Comment

The iron core would have rusted long before the lead solder gave way. Look at the EK1s from the same "find."
                          Don
                          pseudo-expert

Comment

As a kid, I had a beer can collection. We would dig for beer cans around dumps (anyone remember the times of open dumps- a great rural kid wonderland!)and depending on the soil and moisture, we would find cans buried for years that looked damn near new with no alteration of the label and little if any rust, to contemporary cans that were completely rusted. The best ones were always in hard packed clay. If these items were grave dug, it is possible that depending on the depth of the grave, moisture, and soil type, there would be variable amounts of rust and oxidation of the metals. These items probably came from several different sites, which explains the variable amont of oxidation for similiar metals.

Also, why would there be a EK2 in a grave? I can see the other medals, but what's the deal with the EK2?

Comment

Tom, everyone in the tank...Knowing they were 'finished' placed all of their medals in the little wooden box and as soon as the shooting stopped 'threw' them out of the hatch anticipating their capture and the harsh treatment thereafter.....

The story continues....only to be found some 50 to 60 years later in remarkable condition and after a little rubbing off of 60 years of rust we get this lovely lot!

Heck, I'd expect that they would be marked 26 or at very least be 'speckled'...or in the case of leather have the SS mark embossed!
                              Regards,
                              Dave

Comment

3/4

The frame and suspension loop is made of Neusilber.
                                The core is made of brass or copper (versions exist). Perhaps there are cores made of other metals, too? But I have never heard about cores of iron on 3/4s.
                                Certainly sound like graverobbing to me.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X