Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knight's Cross made of alpaca

Hello Guys!

Friend of mine dug up a lot of various German crosses, among them there was beautifull Knight's Cross. The Knight's Cross all is made of alpaca, the frame and the rest. I am not expert on this field and I am very wonder if Knight's Crosses in alpaca are common and who manufactured them?

How can I upload some pictures?

thanx for help
    Blazej

and here they are!!
    Attached Files

Comment

and a close up of the cross! so what do you think guys!!
      Attached Files

Comment

What do you mean by "Alpaca". To me an Alpaca is a cousin of the Llama, and produces wool?

Comment

I mean, a kind of alloy a kind of metal, in Poland it's called modern silver, many badges and belt buckles were made of alpaca.

I mean nickel silver

Originally posted by Laurence Strong
          What do you mean by "Alpaca". To me an Alpaca is a cousin of the Llama, and produces wool?

Comment

I mean nickel silver

Originally posted by Laurence Strong

Comment

You have to join as an association member. If you email pics to me, I will post them for you

cherri.hansen@mchsi.com

I am interested in these crosses, as recent discussions have illustrated. If this is in fact a neusilber cross, some presume them to be early award crosses, others to be retail pieces. Is the core magnetic or non-magnetic? How much does it weigh? Do you ahve better close-ups? Thanks

Comment

I will get some good photos of a 3/4 ring cross with which to compare. I believe that Propser Keating has one, which he posted at another site.

Comment

Specially the Knights Cross, it seems to be a very early one, the so called 3/4 round eye, which was of silver thugh unmarked. In the newest book of Niemann it is given a price of 7.000.-€(in good condition!!!)

If it is real, it's a found!!

egards

Carlos
                  Originally posted by tom hansen
                  You have to join as an association member. If you email pics to me, I will post them for you

cherri.hansen@mchsi.com

I am interested in these crosses, as recent discussions have illustrated. If this is in fact a neusilber cross, some presume them to be early award crosses, others to be retail pieces. Is the core magnetic or non-magnetic? How much does it weigh? Do you ahve better close-ups? Thanks

Comment

Thanx Tom, but the pics have been already uploaded by Paddy.

Yes, the core and the frame both are made of nickel silver, the core is non-magnetic.

regards ,
                    Blazej

cherri.hansen@mchsi.com

Comment

That 1939 date looks like one I saw in Gordons book on an early cross, being smaller and higher up the arm. That ring looks more like a half ring than a three-quarter! It looks as though the frames have separated, and the ribbon loop??, is it unusual?

Comment

Yes, it looks as though the frames have separated. The date looks in the same shape as that in Gordon's book, as well as the one posted by Prosper Keating on the axis history forum.

DO you have better pics, showing the frame on the side,as Harry is right, it seems to be separated. Also, any information on weight of this piece or close-ups of the beading and ring? Thanks!

Comment

Tom, you are right. The frames are separated. I have sent some better resolution pics to your emai. I don't have more pics at the moment.

The core might be made of brass instead of nickel silver.

Regards ,
                          Blazej

Yes, it looks as though the frames have separated. The date looks in the same shape as that in Gordon's book, as well as the one posted by Prosper Keating on the axis history forum.

DO you have better pics, showing the frame on the side,as Harry is right, it seems to be separated. Also, any information on weight of this piece or close-ups of the beading and ring? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Blaz
                            I mean nickel silver
                            Hi Blaz
                            Thank you for that clarification

Comment

edited....you have already answered the question earlier!
                              Last edited by Harry; 11-16-2004, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X