Opinions on this RK please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harry
    Well, well, well, another rounder! Identical to that in Gordon's book, as you have mentioned, but with a 800 stamping. At least this one is not mint!. The jury is still out as to the originality of these crosses.

Best,
    Harry,

one question (or two):

- what is so exeptional about the 800 stamping? - They all have one.
    - what is so exeptional about not being mint.? - Most of them are not mint

Dietrich
    B&D PUBLISHING
    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Oh no....DM, Steve needs to know what he's in for!!!

And considering the extensive research that went in to the publication I wonder if the 'Rounder' was even considered or discussed!

Hang on lads, I feel the medication wearing off
      Regards,
      Dave

Comment

Hi Dietrich,

Firstly, nothing remarkable about the 800 stamp, just highlighting the fact that the cross in Gordon's book is without one. Secondly, I am more suspicious of crosses that have that 'made yesterday' minty look, as opposed to the 60 year old minty look! I feel more comfortable with a cross tha looks its age and has a slight patination/wear, as this one does.

Best

Comment

One question I have with the aggressive finishing of Juncker crosses is that surely one would expect this feature on one frame only, ie the front one. Would there be a need to aggressively polish the corners of the reverse frame where there is no swas. to accomodate? I suppose one could argue that the craftsman would not know which frame was to be used for front and which for back in assembly so he would agressively finish both! This seems a bit unrealistic as surely the final finishing would be done at assembly so that the obverse frame would be 'ground-in' by just the right amount, bit by bit, until it sat right on the core? My 2-bits worth!

Best,

Comment

Harry, on the Juncker crosses typically it was just the front inner corners to be 'shaven'! The reverse generally are found to be quite sharp suggesting to me at least that the cross was assembled utilizing the 3 pieces at one sitting!
            Regards,
            Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave. You know I am still learning on these! I got slightly confused in this thread (happens easily!) - is the cross shown here by Yuri then a Juncker?, as the inner corners on the reverse frame do not seem that sharp.

Best,
              Last edited by Harry; 11-05-2004, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Harry, it's not a Juncker!
                Regards,
                Dave

Comment

Thank Christ for that Dave, i thought I was loosing it! I got completely way-laid earlier in the thread when Roy mentioned 'aggressive finishing in the opinions of many' - I thought he was referring to Yuri's cross! Took the wrong tangent off the meaning altogether. Too much Barrolo last night.

Best,

Comment

where did your friend get this from?

Comment

I posted photo's of one example awhile back that appeared to have finishing on the reverse side, but no one seemed to notice.
                      I'll see if I can find it again.
                      R

Comment

Harry,
                        Here's a nice example of Juncker obverse finishing.
                        Roy
                        Attached Files

Comment

He got it from a friend of his who's liquidating his collection due to a family emergency.

Yuri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X