No announcement yet.

Iron Crosses awarded for mineclearing in Norway, 1945

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll post a few of the more interesting recommendations for you all.

This one for an EKII spange to a Hauptmann in a bau-pionier bataillon who led his men by example in personally lifting the first mines in fields to be cleared and also was lightly wounded by a mine.
    Attached Files
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Awards to both the luftwaffe and KM, the red pencil initialling denote those awards approved.
      Attached Files
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Rarest of all perhaps, awards to two men from SS-polizei Rgt.27, of course there will be som others, there were 2 polizei regiments in Norway in 1945, but certainly not many earned a mineclearing EK
        Attached Files

Comment

I agree with all the other posts,a fine body of work.Thank you.
          Regards
          Michael

Comment

Here's another interesting one.

Gr.Rgt.517 was part of the 295 Inf.Div. a division which was destroyed at Stalingrad and rebuilt in 1943 in Norway. Those survivors from the original division were used to build up the new one.

I believe the Obgfr. Siebert here being recommended for the EKI was almost certainly a Stalingrad survivor having been awarded the EKII 26th Sept.42 at the end of the first assault on the city.
            Attached Files

Comment

One of the very few awards for the EKI spange, signed by General der artillerie Hermann Tittel
              Attached Files

Comment

lastly, awards of the EKI to members of GJR 139, note that two of them were Narvik veterans
                Attached Files

Comment

Not strictly related to mineclearing EK awards but this is a photo in my collection taken during the summer of '45 and shows you how a German soldier in Norway dressed at the time, his cap and breast eagle removed and his belt buckle and IAB de-nazified as per regulations. This NCO belonged to the 295 Inf.Div. and thus was almost certainly a Stalingrad survivor.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Absolutely awesome research & presentation Simon. Thanks very much -as others have said.

Hank
                    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                    ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

I can only chime in with the others, fantastic work

I had no idea about these awards, thanks for enlightening me!

//Thomas

Comment

Excellent research, Simon! I can only add my voice to the opinion that you should write an article for JOMSA or other such journal.

Fascinating!

--Guy

Comment

Definitely some tremendous info and research, Simon! I'm very impressed with the presented Vorschlagslisten, especially the ones in posts 31 and 36 - these must be the latest, or among the latest, EK Spange awards of the entire war.

The High Command took mine clearing very seriously. They had strict details related to the Iron Cross for mine clearing for both in and out of the combat zone spelled out in OKH's award regulations during the war years. So, to see this type of presentation for mine clearing in Norway is definitely consistent with how EKs were processed before the end of hostilities. This is a great lesson and reminder of mine clearing and awards for bravery in that it certainly was no minor task. We think of the dangers of combat when we think of medals and badges yet mine clearing can be just as dangerous.

It is very interesting to see that medals actually accompanied the paperwork and that it wasn't just a matter of having these things clerically processed. And, its astonishing to see that the Allies viewed things in a similar light, that the EK with sastika was kosher for the time being.

Great info!!!!!

Brian

Comment

Excellent, and your interpretation and knowledge of the area was a big part of it's worth.
                            C

Comment

here's Norwegian newsreel footage of the work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0SeunmiVwk

Comment

Interesting footage , Simon .

Douglas

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X