No announcement yet.

Ek1 spange opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMO this spange is a very dangerous copy.

I've wrote why I think this is a copy here:
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=649009

Comment

Originally posted by Robert P. View Post
      Beautiful example, JC! They don't come much finer than yours.

Robert
      Thank you for your kind words Robert. I like it very much too and the detail is textbook for this type IMO but the thing that always kind of worried me a bit on this bird is the metal/finish.

There is hardly any wear but the white frosting is gone on front (most remains on reverse) however it doesnt look like typical tombac and it hasnt "toned" the coppery/brassy colour you would expect from worn tombac. In hand, its looks very dark: like you would expect silver to turn over time but its certainly not silver either. I also have early nickel-silver flight badges and the finish is different...

The only thing I can think of is A) regular tombac piece with a more generous silver-plating under the original frosted finish or B) a weird/late nickel-silver alloy with a higher copper content than we usually see or C) A good restrike using a non-period alloy.

I've attache more pictures that hopefully capture the true colour better and a comparison pict to another spange (L/11). I'm sure you'll agree its not the finish you usually see on these (including your excellent specimen).

Best regards

JC
      Attached Files

Comment

a few more picts
        Attached Files

Comment

In the archives somewhere you'll find an older spange by this maker that was also cased. It looked black in hand. Sorry now I sold it, it had so much character as yours does. I don't know for certain what plating composition is has over the tombak, but whatever it is it really ages beautifully.

Robert

Comment

Here it is in the middle...

Robert
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gew44 View Post
              IMO this spange is a very dangerous copy.

I've wrote why I think this is a copy here:
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=649009
              Thank you very much Gew44, that is exactly the thread I was referring to

Regards

JC

Comment

Originally posted by Robert P. View Post
                Here it is in the middle...

Robert
                Hi Robert

Holy ...! I think this is more than a coincidence because it looks like the exact same set to me... same bird/patina, same leatherette texture case with square button release and with black stain in cover (not visible in your pict but it also has initials E. G. above stain in pencil) and slightly crooked case lid

Dont worry Robert it found a good home and has finished its travelling days!

Regards

JC

Comment

By the way Robert, since you had 3 pieces of the same design all in cases would you be kind enough to confirm wether I have the same case version as your 2 other sets for this piece. Its the one at left in the attached lid picture

Thanks

JC
                  Attached Files

Comment

I'll have to go though the archives and pull some photos of my cases. I've sold all of these spanges and didn't keep any of the files in my new computer. Be awhile...

Robert

Comment

Here are a series of photos of all the unknown maker spange case tops I could find in the archives, that I have owned. They all look to the same, very representative of the spange itself...

Robert
                      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Claude View Post
                          Hi Robert

Holy ...! I think this is more than a coincidence because it looks like the exact same set to me... same bird/patina, same leatherette texture case with square button release and with black stain in cover (not visible in your pict but it also has initials E. G. above stain in pencil) and slightly crooked case lid

Dont worry Robert it found a good home and has finished its travelling days!

Regards

JC
                          JC, you're exactly right, it's the same set. And, I remember the slightly canted lid! What a small world. I wonder how many hands it went through from the time it left me and got to you?!

Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 9 users online. 0 members and 9 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                          X