Ratisbons

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is your favorite from the Iron Cross series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is your favorite from the Iron Cross series?

Which is your favorite from the Iron Cross series? This is not intended to look at monetary value or rarity of the piece but which one appeals to you the most? Which piece really stops you and makes you give it a long hard look and say wow. You can only vote once so think it over for a minute and then vote.

Dez
    4.31%
    9.27%
    14.36%
    70.63%
    1.44%

Hi Carl

My favorite is the 1914 EK. There are so many different varieties and vast numbers of different makers, no two pieces are exactly the same. Pin back, screw back, double post screw back, waffle type back, convex etc…. I am trying to collect all the different makers of the 1914 EK too. Then you have silver hallmarked pieces 800, 925, 935. The list goes on and on. As an added bonus the 1914 is reasonably priced too, it seems everyone wants “nazi” crosses and the ‘14’s are not in such high demand.

Dez

Comment

--For me, it's the 1870 followed closely by the 1813. The 1870's are the best made in my opinion, usually high percentage silver and overall best core detail. Besides, they are the issues in wars that Germany actually won! Sedan! 1870!

Comment

1813 for me.
        These are unfortunately as common as rocking horse s**t,and the ones that are around aren't in the best condition.Attention to detail is also lacking in these pieces.
        They do however overcome these obstacles by their very design,a radically new shape(then),method of construction and contrast between the black and the silver.
        A very striking medal indeed!
        If it wasn't,then would it have been used as a base for all future institutions?(Regardless of precedence.)
        Regards:Andrew

Comment

I've always like the combos...the 1914 with the spange. Many different types of these as well. Many were assembled by jewelers, some were obtained early as private purchase, and a some manufactured well after 1939.

Comment

Imperial EKs

Hi guys,
            My vote goes for any of the EKs as long as they are Imperial. I am equally fond of 1870 and 1914 made pieces.
            Regards,
            Jody

Comment

I know this isn't an official iron cross, but my all time favorite, hands down, is the 1870/71 Cross for Women (I forget the proper name) awarded by Empress Augusta. Photographs don't really show the beauty and craftsmanship of this piece, but once you see one in person, there's no going back. Prinzen sized, black glass core with chased silver detail, and a silver frame that screams quality. So, I voted for the next best thing--the 1870.

Comment

--Hell a GOOD 1st class `70 passed the 1k mark some time ago. If you get one for less, your damned lucky!!

Comment

Hello Carl,

That is my next project as well to track down a nice '70 as well.

I am hoping it will be in the next month or so, if the tax man gives me back some of my money anyway.

Regards

Dez

Comment

hi all

what is the differance between the 1870 and the 1914 EK??
                    i saw some pictures but i can't see the differances

could someone please explain?

regards
                    Richard van Kempen

Comment

I'm with Jody. Each issue has its own merits. All better than the mass-produced pieces of 1939. The austerity of the 1813, the quality of the 1870, and the variety of the 1914 surpass anything produced by the 3rd Reich.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello Richard

The 1870 Iron Cross is a rare piece indeed, on the obverse it is dated 1870, for the Franco Prussian war. Only around 1,100 first class pieces were awarded and 43,000 odd Second class pieces. The market is currently flooded with fakes; ebay usually has a few on offer of this variety. This war led to a united Germany and the start of the Second Reich. 1914 EKs are dated appropriately and are much more common, but these too are being faked to death. Do a search for 1870 EK or 1914 Iron Cross etc.. You should find plenty of pictures and info in past threads.

Regards

Dez

Comment

Richard,
                          Other than the obvious difference in dates, the 1870 is generally better made than those before or after. The details are crisper and the finish better than most 1914's.

Comment

1914 Convex 1st class - way ahead of the rest

Hi folks,

I have to join the Imperial side and vote for the private purcahse convex type 1914 1st class pieces. To my mind they are a class act.

Regards,

Comment

34/39

It's very close, shows what a diverse bunch of collectors we have here.

Regards

Dez

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 11 users online. 0 members and 11 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X