EpicArtifacts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you prefer? A well worn Knights Cross or a minty one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gernika81 View Post
    Haha good point Nick. But having a piece that has been worn during the war is more attractive I think. And if it has known provenance even more.
    Yeh, I know what you mean

Nick

Comment

Without provenance who is to tell if that worn look is not just 70 years or being chucked about and from collector mis-handling. A mint cross reflects the true aesthetics and craftsmanship of the piece, plus you know it has been well looked after!

Comment

But a piece just found in the workshops or warehouses of the main RK manufacturers in Germany after the war without having been awarded and still wrapped with the celophan has no soul IMHO. It's gorgeous and very beautiful for display, but where is the story behind the award? However, of course, I respect the opinion of people who prefer minty awards.
        Last edited by Gernika81; 02-17-2012, 08:00 PM.

Comment

They both have their place. Of course, Harry is right that without provenance, wear can be the result of a mint cross being bounced around for 70 years, but in some cases, you can actually tell, from the pattern of wear (if there is one) whether it was worn. The loop and the rear beading are good places to look.

Actaully, it's a good thing to have both a mint one and a worn one, just to "cover all bases"!

Comment

Oh yes Leroy you are right. The best option is to have both examples The problem is where to find a well worn one with provenance...

Comment

The first problem is to get such an amount of money for such a piece. But then the problem is to find a nice RK that comes up to the expectatives of the collector

Comment

Well, if a Ferrari with 100.00O km took part in races several decades ago, it is worth a lot more than one that has always been kept in a garage. No doubt.

For me any award still in cellophane hasn't accomplished the purpose it was produced for.

Just my point of view.

Saludos, Gernika.

Comment

Saludos Blaue

Comment

Originally posted by Stickgrenade View Post
                    Dave , good point but I would rather have a brand new Ferrari than one with 100,000 miles on the clock

Poor analogy I know mate

Nick

Your analogy leaves me thinking of women

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNZ View Post
                      Im curious: whats the attraction to own a minty unworn KC?

surely you'd rather one that has seen the blood and iron of war
                      I just like them better, I like all my EK's in, not necessarily stone mint, but nice condition with no paint loss on the core or dents and marks on the frame...and if I can get them with most of the frosting left ..

I do like them worn too, but not beat up and rusty

Comment

I like both...you have a representation of how it was when it left the factory and then you have an example with wear then shows the strains and scars of battle.

Best of both worlds!
                        Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
                        Decorations of Germany

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X