• Time
  • Show
Clear All

best regards
    jon
    Attached Files

Comment

Rk

It could also be a de-oakleaved early 57. Although again, one would question the logic of ruining a decent 57 piece.
      Erich
      Festina lente!

Comment

Erich, you might be on to something!

I've looked, squinted etc. and (now) I really don't see the characteristics I look for in the pre '45 "1939"!!

It might be the paint/re-paint causing it.....but now I'm just not sure.

Will someone post a (very) early '57 cross so we might compare the 1939.

Specifically, I don't care for the 1 nor the 3.

Someone elses turn to go blind!!

Dave
        Regards,
        Dave

Comment

I guess one could consider the logic as being that if it is a de-oaked '57 and being passed off as a de-nazified pre-'45 cross, it is worth at least $1000 more!

It is already up to about $728, at least double what an early '57 goes for.
          Not a bad profit for a couple of hours work!

Regards,
          Brett

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kane
            Erich, you might be on to something!

I've looked, squinted etc. and (now) I really don't see the characteristics I look for in the pre '45 "1939"!!

It might be the paint/re-paint causing it.....but now I'm just not sure.

Will someone post a (very) early '57 cross so we might compare the 1939.

Specifically, I don't care for the 1 nor the 3.

Someone elses turn to go blind!!

Dave
            Is my one ok to compare with ?

Cheers.
            Peter Wiking
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Wiking
              Is my one ok to compare with ?

Cheers.
              Peter Wiking
              W W!
              here's a few comparisons. I noticed that the inner corners of the 'denazified' one are slightly filed (for the swaz?)
              regards
              jon
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Erich
                    It could also be a de-oakleaved early 57. Although again, one would question the logic of ruining a decent 57 piece.
                  Originally posted by Erich
                  Erich
                  Hi Erich/Dave/Jon,

I considered this too, but I think that I can see traces of the "square " where the swaztika could have been, there doesnt appear to be damage to the upper arm, and the inner corners appear to be filed as one often sees on a 1939 fit up.
                  On balance I'll still stick to a 1939 denazified theory...but then the pictures (and my eyes too) are not that good !
                  Last edited by Chris Jenkins; 06-07-2004, 07:43 PM.

Chris

(looking for early K & Q RK)

Comment

Ok guys. I spend some time searching and found this interesting info:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...highlight=1957
                    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...highlight=1957

Cheers.
                    Peter Wiking

Comment

Chris, yes, my first observation was wow, I'd like to get something like this but after Erich suggested the possibility of a 57' I began to look at the #'s a little closer. The loop in the 3 seems awfully high, the back of the 9 too straight and the elongated foot of the 1 nonexistant!

Again, bad pics or possibly a mirage caused by paint but the 1 and 9 'touching' at their bases does not help...

Darn, it could be 100% (and if so a great 'timeline' to assess the "flaw's beginning") or an out and out fraud!

The more I look the more I doubt...

Dave
                      Regards,
                      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kane
                        Chris, yes, my first observation was wow, I'd like to get something like this but after Erich suggested the possibility of a 57' I began to look at the #'s a little closer. The loop in the 3 seems awfully high, the back of the 9 too straight and the elongated foot of the 1 nonexistant!

Again, bad pics or possibly a mirage caused by paint but the 1 and 9 'touching' at their bases does not help...

Darn, it could be 100% (and if so a great 'timeline' to assess the "flaw's beginning") or an out and out fraud!

The more I look the more I doubt...

Dave
                        Yep....its an interesting piece isnt it Dave....and thanks for the links Peter.
                        Question now is, is this a blank centre or a denazified 1939 ?
                        (Wish we had some better shots of this one)

Chris

(looking for early K & Q RK)

Comment

Also, the description suggests that it was 'de-nazified' while the owner a POW. A bit unlikely...

However, it is surely attractive to some! Have a look at the bids...

Dave
                          Regards,
                          Dave

Comment

I cannot see any trace of the oak leaf stem on the bottom arm, yet the damage to the core where the swastika should be is larger than you would think if the swaz was removed.<O</O

Comment

Hi,

Please info required were all swastika's solid or were some hollow stampings.
                              Still leaning Murdock

Comment

Dear leaning Merdock,

Some swastikas were hollow as the centre of the cross was sometimes stamped out of a sheet of thin metal. I once owned an L/11 marked cross with this feature and it was considerably lighter in weight as well.

Regards,
                                Brett

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X