EK1 and Spange for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK1 and Spange for review

A friend offered this EK1 and Spange to me. I would like to know if it is original and roughly what the value could be.
    Thanks, Doug
    Attached Files

Spange close-up....
    Attached Files

Comment

This is an Unknown Maker Spange with an L/ mark.

The mark on the reverse of the Spange will be major news. Can you please let us know what it is?

As for the Combo, it looks all right to me but that is a subjective judgment. It is a "jeweler Combo" -- an original EK1 and an original Spange, joined together by a jeweler. As such it's hard to say exactly when it was joined, but this one looks to me like it could have been a period (pre-45) job.

As for value, these are a real grey area. The value of the pieces themselves would be about $800. Anything above that amount is dependent on how much faith you have in this piece as a period job. Combos that buyers had faith in fetched between $2500 and $4500 at the recent SOS.
      Best regards,
      Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

perfectly crafted reply by Streptile as ever
        but
        I think the spange is a repro
        better/clearer pics would be needed to be sure, it looks too thick, too soft
        regards
        jon

Comment

Hmm. That would suck...

Well, let's wait for better pics.

In fact, the mark could help us determine if it's bad, since if it is (for example) L/18 or L/15, we'd know something was likely wrong with it.
          Best regards,
          Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

I would say repro also...the Spange that is.

Strange details and poor refinished. Just look at this picture here:

/Flemming
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi, my first post ! Not really that knowledgeable but I hope I can contribute a little something occasionally ...

Cant post picts (nor would I feel confortable to do so if I could because the pict was "borrowed" from a dealer site) but I have a pict in my files that shows a very similar combo set-up: same EK I spange design, similar reinforcement plate but long pin that covers both spange & EK. The back picture with lifted pin shows L/13 mark on spange reverse and 800 silver grade mark on EK which I found to be a rather odd combination... I have the same spange in my small collection but its unmarked

JC

Comment

The maker mark on the Spange is hard to read, but it looks like L/11???
                Doug

Comment

L/11 is LDO No. for W. Deumer of Ludenscheid and spange design is very different .
                  I cant post picts but if you do a search on "Deumer EK 1 spange" you should see threads with good pictures of the Deumer spange design

JC

Comment

to me, it doesnt matter what is marked onto this spange, it seems to be a repro anyway. This design is the one Unknown Maker of spangen, thus the name: UnknownMaker.
                    Repros of this design are good, this resembles the repro. A hands-on inspection would tell me straight away. Here is a pic of an authentic UnknownMaker spange:
                    regards
                    jon
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Claude View Post
                      Hi, my first post ! Not really that knowledgeable but I hope I can contribute a little something occasionally ...

Cant post picts (nor would I feel confortable to do so if I could because the pict was "borrowed" from a dealer site) but I have a pict in my files that shows a very similar combo set-up: same EK I spange design, similar reinforcement plate but long pin that covers both spange & EK. The back picture with lifted pin shows L/13 mark on spange reverse and 800 silver grade mark on EK which I found to be a rather odd combination... I have the same spange in my small collection but its unmarked

JC
                      I'd like to see the pics
                      L/13 and 800EK1 is possible, as a 'jeweller conversion'... but there are good new L/13 spangen fakes going around. I have one, and I have seen 2 combos recently also using the fake L/13, so buyer beware!
                      regards
                      jon

Comment

Jon, I've never seen such a shiny beauty of this maker

Comment

Originally posted by Lubo View Post
                          Jon, I've never seen such a shiny beauty of this maker
                          I agree, its a stunner

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by tinmantis View Post
                            I'd like to see the pics
                            L/13 and 800EK1 is possible, as a 'jeweller conversion'... but there are good new L/13 spangen fakes going around. I have one, and I have seen 2 combos recently also using the fake L/13, so buyer beware!
                            regards
                            jon
                            Hi Jon,

Your "unknown maker" spange is superbe! Same design as mine ...but with that minty "frosted silver" as an added bonus

As mentioned I cant post picts but if you are interested I can email you copy of combo picts (as a powerpoint presentation) I was talking about if you provide an address I can ship them to

Regards

JC

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X