demjanskbattlefield

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This schinkle strained my patience to the max....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Douglas 5 View Post
    Just my wording when I rush things .
    Ok ... so surprizingly everything is different . They changed everything ... which makes me think evermore that they were given something to go by .

Douglas
    That is a possibility, but if someone that makes and sells the disc drops in and tells you that you can save 20 % on production by altering the screw, that might have been a good reason as well.
    Don't forget we are talking about huge numbers here...
    And profit is profit....

Comment

A matter of economics then .....
      ........ the regimn was oddly enough concern with crosses having only iron cores and no vaulting .

Douglas

Comment

So nice!

I remember the first one I saw of these, I had a chance to buy it, but I wasn't sure enough of my judgment so I let it go

Congratulations.
        Best regards,
        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Go kick yourself in the @ss, if you don't, I will!!

but only if you kick me back, I deserve it too....

Comment

A matter of economics then .....
            ........ the regimn was oddly enough concern with crosses having only iron cores and no vaulting .

Douglas
            And even that was ignored...
            Ever seen a magnetic L/19... No...
            L/12, L /16, L/18, L/15... they all made non-magnetic, L/ marked crosses...
            so : NOT allowed under LdO rules.....

So obviously they did have other concerns....

Comment

And then also - Ben - original restriction over time - progression of the war and lack of materials etc - were 'relaxed' or not enforced or retracted .
              Early pieces had guidelines and these did not last that long . With the start of the Gablonzer method not surprizing zink cores made a 2nd comeback . This would naturly show up in LDO pieces too . The increasing demand saw more and more lower quality crosses being used .

Douglas

Comment

Congrats Ben

I looked for this rare variations (I like the pair) a long time but it never came to me

Your collection never stop amazing me

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by wvdparis2 View Post
                  Congrats Ben

I looked for this rare variations (I like the pair) a long time but it never came to me

Your collection never stop amazing me

Michael

Thanks michael,
                  they are rare indeed, I know about 2 or 3 of these only...

Comment

And then also - Ben - original restriction over time - progression of the war and lack of materials etc - were 'relaxed' or not enforced or retracted .
                    Early pieces had guidelines and these did not last that long . With the start of the Gablonzer method not surprizing zink cores made a 2nd comeback . This would naturly show up in LDO pieces too . The increasing demand saw more and more lower quality crosses being used .

Douglas
                    Douglas,
                    that seems logical.

I don't see why zinc made a comeback when the Gablozer method was introduced?
                    It was only used for putting the frames together.

And: why are there not more unmagnetic ek2 around then??

Comment

Ben ;
                      The idea of the Gablonzer methode was to improve production , create more awards with less material and preserve or replace metal needed for the war effort . Zink cores for a short while were used for these crosses . A methode that was short lived and a few companies did try out but it never took hold . Mass production that sacrificed quality ! It also tied up a set of your production dies and cores still had to be shipped to Gablonz facility .
                      It appears the use of the companies zink was at their own discression and ended up for other awards and cross cores continued to be made out of iron .

Douglas

Comment

Very nice cross. Welcome to the club Ben.
                        Same cross that's posted by Trevor in this thread?
                        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...auer+screwback

Comment

No kidding! The same one. That is the one I could have bought, but passed on
                          Best regards,
                          Streptile

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
                            No kidding! The same one. That is the one I could have bought, but passed on
                            Do you remember where it was for sale? Looks like Kai Winkler's old website (Nordheide-Versand).

So this still makes it only three crosses that I know of.

Comment

Weitze.
                              Best regards,
                              Streptile

Comment

So it's a small world after all...

Good you didn't buy it, Trevor...

@ Douglas: I know the Gablonzer methode was to crank up production, but I don't see the connection with re-introducing zinc, unless it was to make the dies last longer.

Hard to believe they still could use what they preferred, although I know there are many exeptions with an L/ stamp and a non-magnetic core.
                                EK 2 on the other hand are not so common with a non magnetic core.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X