Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German cross

Hello,

I also keep following the trimming away of the cloth, check out the close up from the date that is shown.

Iff you look between the red thread border and the inside of the wreath at a left position above the 1941 date you can even still see the original cremecoloured cloth that is missing elsewhere.

So for some reason someone did remove the cloth for some reason (could be wartime or long afterwards => who knows? )

The main issue is that the DK is a good one

Cordial greetings,
    Attached Files
    my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

Comment

The Reverse,fourth clip is there hidden under cloth.Joey
      Originally posted by Joey Charles
      Hi everybody Im trying again with this one as I could,nt post attachments first time around.The background is black on this one and it was brought from a local add in our newspaper by me from a vets son in a box of german badges etc that where 100%.Please bare with me If I cant load photos again I need some help if anybody is willing. .Regards Joey The same thing has happened again I am posting attachments and none are appearing ,is there something magical you have to do apart from paying your subscription.can somebody help
      Attached Files

Comment

german cross

Hi Shane The material has not ,I repeat not been cut away so your opinion seems to be a bit of a bummer.Regards Joseph
        Originally posted by Shane Bennett
        I don't think it was a felt tip pen. Here's why, the background cloth material appears to be black and some of the stitching on the starburst has been wron away revealing the backstitching. Not to mention these 2 backing materials match. I am not saying that the current owner has cut this material away!!! but it appears to have been cut away at some point. The black appears to have an almost felt like look and as far as I can remember the normal white roundell was not felt, rather some form of smoother material.

Comment

If not black felt penned, why black traces here and there on red border string?

Comment

german cross

Hi Brian I think you are right it has been filled in with ink or felt tip thatever,it has not been cut away as many people suggest.It is really an ss night patrol badge for occupied territories to keep the frogs away from the pond which you allready susst.Nice one Brian .Only man that speaks sense.Regards Joey
            Originally posted by Brian S
            If not black felt penned, why black traces here and there on red border string?

Comment

Something you need to know about black felt tip markers, is that the ink isnt a true black, its actually dark blue-purple. Ever had black ink bleed out on paper from getting wet? It usually turns purple.

If this was hand colored, and I am not saying it is, I think your best option would be something along the lines of India ink. The natural capillary action of the cloth would cause it to bleed beyond the applied area. I could easily see this being applied by a brush, dipped in ink. If it was put on thick enough, it could also change the texture of the fabric, due to the heavy concentration of pigments.

just my 2 cents worth.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X