X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RK Oaks Strike or Restrike

1) Original war time issue?

2) Post war from original dies?

Shouldn't matter how much this is listed for, or who has it for sale. Let's evaluate the item.
    Attached Files

another pic
    Attached Files

Comment

last one.

Nobody would say this isn't a beautiful set of oaks.

Now take the nagging doubts about restrikes out of it, please.
      Attached Files

Comment

A quick enlarged back
        Attached Files

Comment

All is yellow to the jaundiced eye, Brian.

Chris

(looking for early K & Q RK)

Comment

Brian,
            Your oaks look great . . .but so did mine and they were cast copies. I was lucky to get out of the deal, but these are dangerous awards especially when one has to hit the 10K plus range to get a set.

Can you tell on the side of the oaks if they are cast or die stamped? Again, you may have a real deal, but I thought the 21 was stamped to the side and a little lower. I know the postion of the maker mark is NOT a major consideration, but a minor one. These are damn dangerous awards and to get a real one these days is very lucky!

If you have time and if you are just inspecting the set I'd put them in a FedEx overnight package to Gordon, Peter, Stump, Burmeister, Shea, George, Frank, Francois, etc....anyone that has seen and knows about these . . . . . Ron Manion told me my set was bad. Get several blessings from the guys that know. It's worth the little expense to FedEX these all over the place to get confirmation. Really, get several opinions because these bad boys need a hands on inspection.

GOOD LUCK! If these are blessed you have one HELLAVA centerpiece for your collection! Again, I'm on your side and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Jenkins
              All is yellow to the jaundiced eye, Brian.
              Could you please explain this comment in the context of this thread?
              Last edited by Brian S; 03-19-2004, 05:53 PM.

Comment

I believe the point Brian is trying to make is that it is quite difficult to tell a real set of oaks from fakes (am I right Brian?). And that posted is probably a fake to illustate that point.

As stated earlier, I am a novice and am trying to learn. I am sure the very experienced collectors can tell the difference with these in hand, but it seems treacherous ground for all but the upper level collectors.

Comment

I think it would be virtually impossible to authenticate something like this from photos, but if the game here is "What's Wrong With This Picture", then the only thing I can spot is the central rib of the right hand leaf, which doesn't seem to conform to either the Godet type 1 or type 2 shown in Gordon Williamson's book. On the other hand, it could just be the photos.

Tim
                  "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - President Merkin Muffley

Comment

No dimple at the 10 O'Clock position. I wouldn't buy this particular set at the current price.

Comment

This is an original 900 21 Oak Leaves. It should answer all questions.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Reverse.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The El Demple theory.

Comment

Brian; Could you please post a clear front on shot in the same size and quality as Bill has posted?

Comment

It's not a restrike. At least not from the dies that made Bill's.
                              George

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X