Post war marks on pre May '45 EK2s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post war marks on pre May '45 EK2s.

I would be interested to see any makers marks on wartime produced EK2s that are post war, suspicious, controversial, unknown, etc etc.....
    If you have one or more please post them, it would be good to gather as many different examples in one place and see what we have between us.
    I'll start off with a '5' for Hermann Wernstein. This mark is on an S&L type EK2.
    Attached Files

This is an interesting topic. I'm sure bogus marks have been placed on unmarked wartime awards from time to time. In general, though, I think this explanation is overly simplistic! Perhaps the die characteristic/maker/maker marking relationship w/ WWII German badges and medals is more complex than people think? I personally think it quite likely that larger firms sold parts to smaller firms who either didn't own the expensive die toolings, or had a temporary shortfall in filling a contract. These parts may have been assembled by the craftsmen at the smaller firm, and marketed under their name. This practice was common among German dagger makers, and is well known among dagger collectors.

Comment

Here's another "5", also on an S&L.
      Attached Files
      George

Comment

Thanks for your comments Andy which I tend to agree with. I was hoping the thread might bring about some discussion on the subject and draw some possible theories regarding these crosses and their marks.
        I find it interesting that we have original crosses with makers marks that we can't match to packets and we have packets with no corresponding identifiable EKs to match them with - as well as makers who produced crosses who are hitherto unknown........

Comment

Yes, interesting topic
          I recently got a nice "75" EKII with an 80 marked on the ring.
          Cheers,
          Stefano
          Attached Files

Comment

Your "5" and mine look pretty close, Adrian.
            George

Comment

This is a very timely topic for me. Although not an EK, this link discusses an item w/ SL characteristics but a Deumer mark. There is no doubt in my mind that the marking is original to the piece.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...56#post3867156

Comment

hi guys,

...and what do you think about this "49" marker sign ? I found it picture once on an auction site.

regards Gabor
                Attached Files

Comment

...it would be a pretty amazing coincidence to find two SL EKs marked post war in such an identical way.....

Originally posted by George Stimson View Post
                  Your "5" and mine look pretty close, Adrian.
                  Last edited by Luftm40; 02-28-2010, 01:17 PM.

Comment

..and I bought some years ago a nice orig. EK2 Juncker, but I found there is in the ring a postwar "2".

I would like to show you......

regards Gabor
                    Attached Files

Comment

"and what do you think about this "49" marker sign ?"

"49" is usually stamped into so-called "Floch fake" EK 2s. Do you have pics of the rest of the cross?

Here's another "2" stamp on a Juncker EK 2. (Or is it something else?)
                      Attached Files
                      George

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson View Post
                        Here's another "2" stamp on a Juncker EK 2. (Or is it something else?)
                        It's not the first time I've seen that mark on a good Juncker.
                        Attached Files
                        Best regards,
                        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

And the cross.
                          Attached Files
                          Best regards,
                          Streptile

Comment

'20' on a K&Q

Best regards,
                            Streptile

Comment

Here's the EK with my mark.
                              Attached Files
                              George

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X