Interesting EK1 on a plaque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting EK1 on a plaque

This is an interesting little trench art piece. I originally bought it for $35 then traded it off then got it back. On the back is a signature. To me it looked like either Ch Herbert or Th Herbert Generalmajor. There is only one person, that I could find, who fits this signature, Luftwaffe Generalmajor Theodr Herbert. Herbert started the war as a colonel then fought in Africa. Later he took over various units on the Russian front. In 1945
    He took over the 15th Flak Division made up of pieces of survivors of other units. He fought his way into Romania then made it back to Germany to give up to the Americans. This cross could likely have been given to a guard of his while interned. Herbert died in the 1980s. It could, of course, be mocked up but

1. Why go to all the trouble and sell it for $35?

2. If you are going to add a name why a somewhat obscure Luft. Flak General -- why not someone
    with more appeal? I guarantee the lady (a flea market type) I got from wouldn't know Herbert.

I know it says "Germany" not "Deutchland" But my theory is that the US soldier (jailer, interpretor, whatever) made friends with his captive ( Herbert) and the general gave the American his iron cross. Then the American might of made the wooden shield in remembrance of his stay and asked the general for his signature which he applied to the back. Or not. Who knows?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Military Trader; 01-29-2010, 11:06 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

I think that you have a post VE Day souvenir. Once the GIs got to Occupied Germany there were all sorts of souvenirs available to them that were made by German citizens. It is an interesting field of collectibles since a lot of the souvenirs were made with tools and machines that had been used to make weapons and such.

This Iron Cross is part of such a souvenir and it is one piece and one sided. It is also from a plaque...Perhaps yours is made the same way?
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is a plaque that has a real EK2 on it...
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Whatever the story, I think these plaques are really great items.
            Looks really nice. yours too AUSGANG

Comment

Occupation souvenirs are a great overlooked field of collectibles.

Comment

the piece of paper stuck on the back appears to be an original calling card from the man you mentioned. These were given to servants etc when visiting well to do houses. The bottom corner being folded means something but I can't recall what, there was a whole etiquette surrounding these things that dates back to the 1800s.

And yes the plaque is a souvenier piece specifically made for the GIs. A better look at the EK would tell us if its a real one.

Comment

The cross in post # 1 seems an original Zimmermann/Godet EKI..
                  do someone see the same ??

Comment

Originally posted by fabri-online View Post
                    The cross in post # 1 seems an original Zimmermann/Godet EKI..
                    do someone see the same ??
                    Hmmm, good eye, if it's true. Can we see a closer shot of just the EK please?
                    Best regards,
                    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

The card is actually not really a card but pretty thin paper. I found this about the folds.

In the Victorian day, the design, style, and even color border of a card actually carried a meaning to the receiver. A folded top left corner meant the visitor had come in person; an unfolded card meant a servant was sent. A folded right top corner meant congratulations, and the lower right fold expressed sympathy.

Here is a closer view.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
                        Hmmm, good eye, if it's true. Can we see a closer shot of just the EK please?
                        eh eh this time I have had a good eye, that is a nice and original EKI, Zimmermann or Godet.

Comment

Interesting -- The signature (or calling card) is odd. I guess there's no way to prove they came together. But why stick a litlle piece of paper to the back with a name?

Comment

Originally posted by fabri-online View Post
                            eh eh this time I have had a good eye...
                            You sure did
                            Best regards,
                            Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

So what is likley -- that the guy found the paper 9signature in a house or something??

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X