Unusual Screwback EK1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual Screwback EK1

Just received these photos from Thomas Huss. Very interesting Screwback. Note "round" corners
    Last edited by Gordon Williamson; 08-30-2008, 11:57 PM.

800 silver mark near the edge of the arm
    Last edited by Gordon Williamson; 08-30-2008, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Interesting piece, the only original EK that I have ever seen with round inner beading has been Souval EK2’s. However this piece is definitely NOT a Souval. Definitely a high quality piece so I am thinking very early war? 1939/40 period?<O</O

Comment

Gordon,
        Did you ever receive my scans?

Comment

Dez,

What makes you think this cross is not a Souval?
          About a year ago I saw a similar cross with the 800 mark for sale on ebay and I put a bid on it because of the 800 mark. It ended up going for a small fortune. From memory it had a L/58 marked screw disc on the back.

Regards,
          Brett

Comment

Brett; On all original Souval pieces I have seen the 3 in 1939 slightly sits lower than the other numbers. RS screwbacks and pinback EK's all feature the dipping 3. Are you are of RS having more than one set of core dies for the EK1?
            Your comments made me go back and check my round EK2 and the core is not the same as the piece shown above by Gordon.

Comment

Note however on the frame, on the outer "corners" where the beading merges, there is a very distinctive "raised" look to the bead at the point, something very distinctive to Souval pieces.

Souval are also known to have offered the 1939 EK with a real silver frame. Geissler shows a private purchase Souval EK1 pinback, rounded centre corners, raised bead on the outer corners just like this, pin marked L/58 935 R.S.
              Unfortunately Geissler's photo is too dark to make out details of the date numerals.

Comment

My screwback L/58 disk marked Souval has both the dipping 3 and the raised ridge on the outside corners.

Just curious, why would they use a different core?
                Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

This is interesting, here is my EK2, picture is from where I bought it, not mine:
                  The beading looks 100% the same as Gordon's.

Comment

The more and more I compare the core the more it looks the same as well, however the bottom of the numbers are slighty fatter on the screwback? perhaps RS had two sets of dies, one for the regular pieces and one for the round beading pieces?

Comment

The centre:

Comment

Dez,

any change of a high resolution center beading scan?

Dietrich
                        B&D PUBLISHING
                        Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Dietrich; Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera and I am only going by playing with the original image that I snapped up from the site I bought it from.
                          I have cleaned the image up a bit, hope this helps?

Comment

Dez,

no, not really. See, it would be nice to see the exact way the beading meets in the corners to establish the 'carvers' hand.

Dietrich
                            B&D PUBLISHING
                            Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

I think we can safely say that the cores are different as shown by the two dates in the attached pic (Gordon's cross and Dez's). Whether one is right or wrong I don't want to pass an opinion, but definately two different dates on the core.

Regards,
                              Brett
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X